Cool stone carving.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I found a huge rock with a cool stone carving i thought it was too cool to keep to myself. I don't know who did it, when and why. Looks real old. What do you think?
IMG_20200415_103507.jpg
looks like a bears paw print. Love the lichen.

martyfoley

Reaction score
Robby that is nice. Is it on your own land? I would seriously consider having the landowner whomever it is, contact the nearest university or researcher of petroglyph's in the area and find out what it means. It would be very interesting in the least.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Wow that's really cool! My first thought was petroglyph as well, although all the petroglyphs I've seen have been quite abstract compared to yours. I don't think I've ever seen one with such a straightforward image. If I were you I'd get in contact with someone at the local university or historical society, I'm sure they'd be interested to know about it and could probably shed some light on its history. It certainly looks old, although I don't know if that means it's thousands of years old or just something that someone who was bored in the 19th century did.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Already on it but with this cor19 going on a reply might take some time. No rush. It has been there this long. Its not going anywhere. Not on my propery it is on public access land. Just no one in their right mind would go where i go in search of my next bottle discovery.

J.R. Collector

Nomad Bottle Collector
Reaction score
That is freaking awesome. Holy shit Robby. That's something that needs to be studied. Could be a great piece of history there. Looks like a bear paw?

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I went back with a decerning eye and a short sawsall blade and tested the hardness of the stone and it is not soft by any means. I could scratch the back side of the boulder barely and it made short work of the teeth. Must have taken then some time. Must have had a reason. Could have been real bored. I been doing tile work my own business for 35 years. They had to use a chisel or something. I dont see any scratches that even tell me what they used. I dont think i would even attempt to recreate it. Way to hard for me and i have more patience than anyone i know.

treeguyfred

Reaction score
So Robby, I'm in North Jersey and i saw that you found a bottle in the bank of the Passaic river...
~Fred

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marenjch