Copper BB's

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

willong

Reaction score
Yes I thought of that when RobbyBobby made his comment. I have been working with BBs and copper pieces. A lot of cutting! Lol
Here you go Jstorm: https://www.antique-bottles.net/threads/is-there-a-better-way-to-cut-copper-wire.695109/#post-750508

Forum member embe did the search and found the copper wire cutting discussion that I vaguely remembered. It is actually a quite simple setup if you have a power drill or, better yet, a drill press. I did not remember that the cutter was simply a drill bit. Since that is the case, the lengths of the cut pieces of copper wire are determined by the flute depth of the drill bit used. Flute depth is primarily a function of a bit's diameter, but does vary somewhat among types of bits and manufacturers. Consequently, you have a lot of control over the size of the finished pieces simply by selecting a bit that will produce the desired length.

It is still "a lot of cutting" but will speed up the process considerably and likely prevent you developing a case of carpal tunnel syndrome.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Here you go Jstorm: https://www.antique-bottles.net/threads/is-there-a-better-way-to-cut-copper-wire.695109/#post-750508

Forum member embe did the search and found the copper wire cutting discussion that I vaguely remembered. It is actually a quite simple setup if you have a power drill or, better yet, a drill press. I did not remember that the cutter was simply a drill bit. Since that is the case, the lengths of the cut pieces of copper wire are determined by the flute depth of the drill bit used. Flute depth is primarily a function of a bit's diameter, but does vary somewhat among types of bits and manufacturers. Consequently, you have a lot of control over the size of the finished pieces simply by selecting a bit that will produce the desired length.

It is still "a lot of cutting" but will speed up the process considerably and likely prevent you developing a case of carpal tunnel syndrome.
I tried to use large bolt cutters. They are meant for hardened steel so they crushed into the copper but molded to the cutters blades. The harder I squeezed the harder it got to squeeze. Hard to explain but the only thing I found that cut the 1/4" thick copper was a pair of channel lock flush cut pliers. It cut easily half way, I then pull down snapping the rest making a rough edge. I do wish the handles were longer thought the tool might break if they were. I checked out the drill trick. It looks good for thin wire like 16 ga. but not the 4 ga. I have or the 8 ga.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Attachments

• 20211226_072751.jpg
    20211226_072751.jpg
    880.2 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

Jstorm

Reaction score
I tried to use large bolt cutters. They are meant for hardened steel so they crushed into the copper but molded to the cutters blades. The harder I squeezed the harder it got to squeeze. Hard to explain but the only thing I found that cut the 1/4" thick copper was a pair of channel lock flush cut pliers. It cut easily half way, I then pull down snapping the rest making a rough edge. I do wish the handles were longer thought the tool might break if they were. I have to check out the drill trick.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
Thanks for the info RobbyBobby. Going to try both.

Jstorm

Reaction score

Thanks for helping me out. I am going to try that out!

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Thanks for the info RobbyBobby. Going to try both.
I want to mount the pliers on a wooden board with metal straps holding down one of the handles and put a pipe to extend the other handle so I can get more leverage. Like this. Careful if you copy, this could break the pliers exerting this much force.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Attachments

• 20211226_074934.jpg
    20211226_074934.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 80

willong

Reaction score

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members