Correlation of bottles found in tires while snorkeling?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

NYlakebottles

Reaction score
As a hobbyist scuba and snorkeler last year I began to hunt for bottles in one of the finger lakes in NY. I accidently discovered that there are often bottles in the muck under the tire. I'd always assumed people chucked tires in the lake 50+ yrs ago to attract fish, oddly enough, bottles are in the center more often then not. Maybe something to do with ice fishing and fires? Anyone have ideas? Finding 40s - 60s bottles, liquor, soda and beer.

Thanks, Chris

RCO

Reaction score
As a hobbyist scuba and snorkeler last year I began to hunt for bottles in one of the finger lakes in NY. I accidently discovered that there are often bottles in the muck under the tire. I'd always assumed people chucked tires in the lake 50+ yrs ago to attract fish, oddly enough, bottles are in the center more often then not. Maybe something to do with ice fishing and fires? Anyone have ideas? Finding 40s - 60s bottles, liquor, soda and beer.

Thanks, Chris

not sure there is a lot of tires tossed in odd places , there'd be some in lakes I guess . haven't really noticed that here and I find bottles in lakes

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score

Thanks, Chris

If the tires are in areas where there is appreciable water movement, the tire will act as a kind of 'trap', but that is mostly in rivers. The upstream side of the tire erodes downward and the downstream side builds up with river materials and possibly objects. With enough velocity, items can end up within the tire area and slowly, over time, sink down into the river material below. In lakes, I haven't seen this phenomena too often and when I do see it, I write it off to chance ( bottles pre-existed in the area where the tire sinks to the bottom ). In any event, it is always advisable to look on, around and under any objects on the bottom, in case something is nestled in there. I've found many nice treasures this way!

RCO

Reaction score
what kind of bottles have you found so far , you didn't post any pics ? anything interesting in your area .

I find a lot of cokes here and a local bottle , but I seem to find the same local bottle over and over again

NYlakebottles

Reaction score
Thanks for feedback. It occurred to me that there might be a ton of bottles in the silt and I correlated them with tires because that's the only place I reached down into the silt. I will return this weekend and check the areas around the tires.

Just an equipment shake down weekend, some 1950s pepsi bottles and a old Mr Boston rum bottle, nothing valuable but I'll run them thru my bottle washer and display!

Attachments

• 20210615_152123.jpg
    20210615_152123.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 100

NYlakebottles

Reaction score
If the tires are in areas where there is appreciable water movement, the tire will act as a kind of 'trap', but that is mostly in rivers. The upstream side of the tire erodes downward and the downstream side builds up with river materials and possibly objects. With enough velocity, items can end up within the tire area and slowly, over time, sink down into the river material below. In lakes, I haven't seen this phenomena too often and when I do see it, I write it off to chance ( bottles pre-existed in the area where the tire sinks to the bottom ). In any event, it is always advisable to look on, around and under any objects on the bottom, in case something is nestled in there. I've found many nice treasures this way!
Thanks. This is Keuka Lake in NY, no currents, very clear lake (homes drink lake water) been a gazillion tourists since 1800's chucking bottles in lake but only the 40s-50's poke thru silly bottom. Found milk bottles, soda, beer and Mason jars, some late 1800s

RCO

Reaction score
Thanks for feedback. It occurred to me that there might be a ton of bottles in the silt and I correlated them with tires because that's the only place I reached down into the silt. I will return this weekend and check the areas around the tires.

Just an equipment shake down weekend, some 1950s pepsi bottles and a old Mr Boston rum bottle, nothing valuable but I'll run them thru my bottle washer and display!

I've found a lot of pepsi swirl bottles before , the ones I've pulled from the lakes usually don't have much colour left . but I did find one in a creek the other day that still had the red

I've found many no deposits too , at least they clean up good if you find them in the water

I'd imagine there is older bottles in that lake if its been a busy place over the years and your finding stuff in it . I've had some locations where I had to clean up modern stuff before I started to find the older stuff which was more hidden

embe

Reaction score
I've seen plenty of tires used on docks as "boat bumpers" and I'm pretty sure the inner part would get a couple empties stashed over the years. The wood dock would eventually rot away, leaving the tires (and bottles) to sink to bottom. That would be my guess

NYlakebottles

Reaction score
I've seen plenty of tires used on docks as "boat bumpers" and I'm pretty sure the inner part would get a couple empties stashed over the years. The wood dock would eventually rot away, leaving the tires (and bottles) to sink to bottom. That would be my guess
Very interesting idea.

NYlakebottles

Reaction score

Thanks, Chris

I think I figured out tires were coincidence, went back and ran hands through mucky bottom and found many more in same area including 100yr old schwarzenbach
1624205610188_100.JPG
beer bottle and 1931 or 41 green bottle with large 4 leaf clover on bottom, rest weren't as old or interesting...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18