Counterfeit black glass mineral water

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Screwtop

Reaction score
DSC_0623.jpg

This is a counterfeit of the famous Huyandi Janos mineral water bottles, from Hungary. The base says "Keseru viz forras kocs" which I translated to Bitter Water source Quercus. Quercus means Oak in Latin. I'm not an expert on this whatsoever, so any help would be appreciated. It was found in Lewisburg West Virginia, in the mountainous Greenbriar county. Who knows what this was doing there.

slugplate

Reaction score
I'm not an expert either, but I have two exactly like it. Of course mine have Hyunyadi Janos around the perimeter of the base. But if yours is a repro, it's a damn good one.

Screwtop

Reaction score
I'm not an expert either, but I have two exactly like it. Of course mine have Hyunyadi Janos around the perimeter of the base. But if yours is a repro, it's a damn good one.

Not repro. This was an 1800s counterfeit, kinda like the 1900s Coco Cola, vs. Rye-ola, ala-cola, Wiseola, etc. Hand whittled wooden mold too. This was dug in an 1890s farm dump in Lewisburg W.va.

slugplate

Reaction score
Not repro. This was an 1800s counterfeit, kinda like the 1900s Coco Cola, vs. Rye-ola, ala-cola, Wiseola, etc. Hand whittled wooden mold too. This was dug in an 1890s farm dump in Lewisburg W.va.
Wow... they were pretty good. More impressive is that they made it to the U.S. Crafty fellas I'd say. Squeezing in on the Janos market was pretty a pretty good coup.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen