Couple of nice very historical Baltimore flasks.......and a swan song.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Steve do what Gunther said and just come here to shoot the crap and talk about bottles here and there.
You need the hard core bottle book worms to come to your website to keep you moving and writing and searching.
For me when you post a phone book its to much, not that it isn't interesting, I just don't want to read it all???? Just like your last reply, I didn't read it all lol sorry I did catch the basement comment though[:D]

Problem solved! I told you he would be back hahaha [:D][8D]
And above all stop crying your a grown man.[;)]
you know i'm kidding [8|]

cyberdigger

Reaction score
All of you unknowingly proved my point in this matter being discussed.Lost in your responses in this post are two not seen often, very historical flasks from Baltimore that none of you made mention of

I actually found it difficult to worry about the bottles you posted here, the swan was singing too loudly. I'll be totally straight up with you, Steve: I don't want you to quit ABN, but I totally understand why you feel like doing so. People are gonna be who they are and do what they do no matter what. If you feel like your efforts are going to waste here, that's a pity but I understand why you feel that way. I won't try to justify the silence of others which bothers you so much, except to say that's just the way the cookie crumbles. I won't tell you there's something wrong with you and lighten up about it, either, cuz your cookie crumbles too.. and that's the way it happens.
So, my friend ..here and otherwise, what you do here, and how often, is really up to you. You're a smart and funny guy and a huge asset to the forum and the hobby, Steve. Even Moisha said so and you know how cantankerous he is..

Wheelah23

Reaction score
I am sorry Steve. Maybe I was a bit harsh. I get that you don't want to waste your time posting things here if no one is reading them. My interest is not in the old glass you post, although I certainly would like to have one. I'm sure a lot of the other members are the same way, and cannot contribute to the discussion. I think this forum is more of a general bottle discussion forum, and occasionally people will discuss specific bottles and glass topics. That is probably as it should be.

Your acquisitions and research would be much better suited to a blog. I know I would still read it, as would a lot of other people. I am actually setting up my own website about the Essex County bottlers and their bottles. That information would serve no purpose on this forum, so I am publishing it myself, so I have control over it all. Hoping you'll reconsider leaving.

epackage

Reaction score
Staying dry Steve, best of luck to the BEAST and you.....I'll be in touch.....

baltbottles

Reaction score
Steve,

My opinion is most of the members of this site collect bottles much newer then the stuff that interest's you. So chances are they will have nothing to add to the conversation other then "those are nice bottles". As for those of us who do collect earlier glass, unless its new information or something that sparks a debate or we have an interesting bit of additional information to add. Chances are most of us are not going to reply.

I usually only post historical information when someone asks me for it because I know most people on the site just don't care. And if I can help one person by answering their question its a good enough reason for me to post.

Chris

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Hmmm,...thought provoking thread here Steve,...I always check out your posts and add something when I can...As Chris mentioned, a lot of folks here collect later stuff. Me as well, out of neccessity...our area wasn't well settled till the 1870's, mostly due to an oil boom. Having said that, early glass sends me! I live for it. I covet it. I read about it. I study pictures of it for hours. My collection is 85% 1870's on up,...anything earlier and I'm blessed to have it. Up until Penn Digger became interested in antique bottles and started digging with me, I'd never attended a bottle show. Been digging since the 70's, I used to only collect what I'd dug. The internet and this place really broadened my horizons,...That goes for your posts as well. Another consideration is that lots of folks, working or not, cannot afford higher end, or real old items. Just my two cents.

bostaurus

Reaction score
Having said that, early glass sends me! I live for it. I covet it.
My feelings exactly. Would love to have a nice collection of early glass.
Love to read the posts but I can add nothing to the discussion other than..."nice glass"

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I respect the really old stuff quite a bit, but I can't seem to get truly interested in it, not as much as the bottles from the 1870-1920 era which I love so very dearly.. I have a few pieces from the 1840's, but I just can't wrap my head around them and feel the history like I can holding an embossed blob from my home town in my hands.. besides, that really old stuff costs a friggin fortune!!!

KBbottles

Reaction score
Im with ya charlie,

Its extremely expensive for some of the old flasks. I am still very young, 25, and even attempting to collect pontil NJ sodas is a serious undertaking for me and not always the wisest financially. Through this, i began really enjoying other pontil glass from NJ especially south jersey stuff. I only have a few common flasks most likely attributed to Dyottville, but recently purchased them after buying the McKearin book of flasks and looking through many old online auction sites to see which ones arent tooo pricey. My interest is only beginning in this area and i do look through this section of the forum quite frequently.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Steve,
I'm not going to ask you to stay (I've done that before), but like everyone else on this thread, I love seeing you on here. My dream is to evolve into a collector of artifacts of historical significance. But I sure ain't finding them . . .

By the way, those flasks are effing awesome. If I found one, I'd PM you 23,000 times until you told me to stop because your inbox is past full. But, sadly, I've never found any flask here in Wisconsin - not even a Pike's peak or a cornacopia. In 1825, my state had Indians not flasks. Unless I am willing to put green money where my window ledges are, I am going to have to be satisfied with collecting sodas from my state which I can actually find (or buy if I need to). Just a few flasks from underwater might jump start me, but for now I find whatever I find and wheel and deal for what I don't.

Did I mention that those flasks are unreal? Did I mention that I hope for Destiger Glass? Did I mention tht I have found exactly four pontilled bottles in 15 years of diving?

Steve. The other banter on here is great. Chatting with Chuck, and Rick, and Joe, and Gunth, and Melinda, and Julie, and on and on is a big part of what makes this fun. I love it when people say nice bottle to me. I also love it when I learn something new - but really I'll take either. I've said this before, but one of my favorite threads on here was when an ebay seller (of a citron hutch) backed out of the deal (even though I won it fair and square. You made a silly spongebob cartoon thingy. That, along with the rest of the thread, and the support, went a long way into making me feel better about the whole idiotic episode.

Some day, I hope I can debate with you about a piece of glass I acquired. Which manufacturer in the colonial era could have made such a crude bottle??? Of course, I'm going to need to get the glass (and the education) first.[:)]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown