Creek finds

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sandchip

Reaction score
Found these items yesterday. I was particularly happy to find my first undamaged pipe.

20200308_190421.jpg 20200308_190450.jpg20200308_190624.jpg 20200308_190547.jpg20200308_190938.jpg

Last edited:

Ann M.

Reaction score
Beautiful! Pipe: Clay, perhaps? I have a number of clay marbles that appear to be similar. Also have a similar bottle from Freeport, IL. Are you near Freeport, if you don't mind my asking? Mississippi River clay and kaolin clay pits are located here..southern Illinois.

sandchip

Reaction score
Thanks. It is ceramic (clay) indeed, and I'm down in south Georgia. If you could hear me talk, you'd know right away! Kaolin is a big mining industry around here, too. Oddly enough, Furst-McNess bought out a local grain oil extraction plant here a few years ago.

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
Nice finds Sandchip! I particularly like the arrowhead - you must have an eagle-eye! I find lots of pipes underwater, but none look like that one you found:

Plate of Pipes.JPG

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
That's an interesting pipe! Never seen one in that shape before. I think it was one with a replaceable stem, I found one like that in Philly once in a relative's yard, just happened to spot it poking out. Not sure how the stem would have attached. That style seems to be more of a US thing, the UK and Canadian pipes look like DeepSeaDan's, with the stem built in. Those were thrown away after one or a few uses as far as I know, and seem to be much more common finds than the American style. I've found a couple here in the city at construction sites, even places where there was no sign of glass.

Warf rat

Reaction score
Great day! I think I would go arrowhead hunting. Ever find any costal plains churt?

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
That's an interesting pipe! Never seen one in that shape before. I think it was one with a replaceable stem, I found one like that in Philly once in a relative's yard, just happened to spot it poking out. Not sure how the stem would have attached. That style seems to be more of a US thing, the UK and Canadian pipes look like DeepSeaDan's, with the stem built in. Those were thrown away after one or a few uses as far as I know, and seem to be much more common finds than the American style. I've found a couple here in the city at construction sites, even places where there was no sign of glass.
I’ve been told that as folks smoked those clay pipes, the clay would soften from spit, so they’d nip off the sodden part with their teeth, and keep smoking the pipe until it was nibbled down close to the bowl. That’s how I find the majority of them. Such a great variety of designs on the bowl’s keeps me hunting them.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky