Creek walking. Tips, tricks and LAWS

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RoseOnTheRocks

Reaction score
Hi everyone
we arrived in Morgantown (WV) today and I had a quick walk in a creek. Didn’t find anything but it got me thinking if any of you guys have any tips on how to do it how to find them and more importantly the laws regarding them. Here in Australia the council has taken ownership of the majority of creeks so we can walk most of the ones around but I’m not so sure about the USA?

thanks
Archie

I’m a big fan of my short shovel that fits easily in my bag. If it’s not a discreet place & I’m nervous about someone asking me what I’m doing, I’ll throw my headphones on ahead of time & just pretend to tie my shoe/rummage through my bag when they walk by As far as creeks go, I’ve had success when I look for spots with glass shards. Worst case, I end up with some interesting shards to add to my growing shard collection (not sure what I’m going to do with all of these glass pieces, but that’s a “problem” for another day )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roy

Reaction score
Or up the game a notch and use a potato rake for the same purpose. Such a tool will enable raking through bottom sand and muck in likely deposit areas where the current back-eddies. Moreover, one can loft a found bottle to the surface in the crook of the tines.

View attachment 237723
Hi Wll
I liked your idea about the long handled potato rake and went out and bought one. Haven't tried it out yet. Thinking about it now the one I have carried for about 50 years had a long handle when my father gave it to me and I shortened it to fit in the bag I was using and make it easier to carry through the woods. Thanks for the idea

Roy

Reaction score
Hi Wll
I liked your idea about the long handled potato rake and went out and bought one. Haven't tried it out yet. Thinking about it now the one I have carried for about 50 years had a long handle when my father gave it to me and I shortened it to fit in the bag I was using and make it easier to carry through the woods. Thanks for the idea
I hate it when I hit the post reply button by accident before I have a chance to look over what I've written.... should have said HI Will , should have had a period at the end, and Roy.

Roy

Reaction score
I’m a big fan of my short shovel that fits easily in my bag. If it’s not a discreet place & I’m nervous about someone asking me what I’m doing, I’ll throw my headphones on ahead of time & just pretend to tie my shoe/rummage through my bag when they walk by As far as creeks go, I’ve had success when I look for spots with glass shards. Worst case, I end up with some interesting shards to add to my growing shard collection (not sure what I’m going to do with all of these glass pieces, but that’s a “problem” for another day )

I hear you RoseOnTheRocks....
I always wear a backpack with my short handled potato rake hidden inside. As I almost always go alone and everyone is wearing a backpack these days I look like I am just out for a hike. Very easy to slip off a trail and look for the old dumps.
Roy

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
I hate it when I hit the post reply button by accident before I have a chance to look over what I've written.... should have said HI Will , should have had a period at the end, and Roy.
Hey Roy, most aren't from CT. They don't silently correct grammar. (Oops! I have to cut back on those contractions. Apologies. ;) By the way, just use the edit button to relieve that Nutmegger anxiety. )

Roy

Reaction score
Hey Roy, most aren't from CT. They don't silently correct grammar. (Oops! I have to cut back on those contractions. Apologies. ;) By the way, just use the edit button to relieve that Nutmegger anxiety. )
Lol... Thanks Len. I'll try to edit it next time I hit that damn Post reply button by accident... I'm feeling less anxiety already.... Roy

RoseOnTheRocks

Reaction score
I hear you RoseOnTheRocks....
I always wear a backpack with my short handled potato rake hidden inside. As I almost always go alone and everyone is wearing a backpack these days I look like I am just out for a hike. Very easy to slip off a trail and look for the old dumps.
Roy
Exactly!! So refreshing to talk to people who get it haha

moodorf

Reaction score
Yeah I'm doing the same....wearing a backpack with one of these inside

1656466177318.png

also carrying one of these in there too (for tree roots)
1656466267398.png

I haven't used a shovel since I'm always digging in sloped/rocky creek banks.

I don't get mistaken for a hiker much though. When I go out hunting I'm not wearing my best duds, seeing as how I'm usually covered in dirt on the way back. Why ruin nice clothes eh?

Between the not-fancy clothes, the backpack, and the overall dirtiness on the return trip I think people get more of a homeless vibe from me. A month ago I remember a week where on two separate occasions strangers offered me water XD

Then I'd get in my subaru and they would give me an "oh...." look.

Last edited:

Roy

Reaction score
Yeah I'm doing the same....wearing a backpack with one of these inside

View attachment 237916
also carrying one of these in there too (for tree roots)
View attachment 237917
I haven't used a shovel since I'm always digging in sloped/rocky creek banks.

I don't get mistaken for a hiker much though. When I go out hunting I'm not wearing my best duds, seeing as how I'm usually covered in dirt on the way back. Why ruin nice clothes eh?

Between the not-fancy clothes, the backpack, and the overall dirtiness on the return trip I think people get more of a homeless vibe from me. A month ago I remember a week where on two separate occasions strangers offered me water XD

Then I get in my subaru and they give me an "oh...." look.
Lol... Love it. I take a folding saw also on occasion.

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
My first go to is a WWII G. I. back pack. (small version) Let whoever think what they want. If you're after bots old clothes are a must. I'd think twice about someone out of place (dressed to impress) while in the woods.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu