Crude Chestnut type flask need info

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Old man digger

Reaction score
I had one of these almost identical several years ago and honestly I could never make heads or tails of it. The color of the glass and the pontil looks like New England glass. The base was heavily scratched but I really was suspicious because they were pretty deep scratches rather than the fine wear I usually see and there was no other wear to the bottle. It had a knarly huge pontil. The lip certainly doesn't look like what most US glasshouses used...its a ring of glass around where they snapped the bottle off the blowpipe. In the end, I concluded it was a fantasy or reproduction piece simply because the way the lip was installed made no sense from a utility standpoint...you really couldn't properly cork the bottle or pour the contents without it going everywhere. But I had no proof. I sold it to a friend as a reproduction...
Hello 1st post, I have a chance to acquire this pontil flask. As you can see the lip is very bad depending on how you look at it. Our problem is to ID this flask. Looks like a Chestnut type, but all I've seen have a handle and none with the shape of this lip. Pulled before handle applied? Apprentice piece he took home?? A bad one that got buy?? Is it even a US bottle?? All are unknown. And with that said what's a fair price to pay?? If you like oddities, this i it. Large, Thin, Pontil, and a bad lip what more could you want from a late 18 early 19th century bottle, Help so I can add to my collection, Or is it so much it should go to auction, Counting on the communities knowledge for this one. thanks.
There is a very strong possibility that the neck and ring were deformed during the annealing process IMHO !!!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac