Curious about Ebay

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
I seen a Quart Hutch from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan get around $2,500.00 which totally shocked me. Insane. LEON.

nhpharm

Reaction score
Do they sell?
opmustard
They seem to. There are a lot of bottles that are quite pretty but are worthless in the UK. Even pre-eBay, I remember going to bottle shows and seeing the same thing; for example much of the stuff Jim Rogers used to sell at shows was from the UK.

nhpharm

Reaction score
There are some very valuable/desirable Texas hutch sodas; many of the hutch sodas listed on Ron's site from Texas are one of a kind and that rarity brings good money from local collectors. For most of Texas, hutch sodas are as old as it gets and thus are very collectible.

hemihampton

Reaction score
You've found Bottles in Texas much older then 1880's+ Hutch's haven't you? LEON.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
What does everybody on the think about Seller doesn't accept returns.
opmustard
As a seller, that's how I prefer it assuming the item was described correctly and arrived intact. If I got paid for selling an item/service, I want to stay paid. I used my packing materials, tape, and time to ship it to you. There's no way I'm gonna wanna have it come back to me, especially since ebay will not return all the fees I get charged for selling on their site. Returning an item will cause me to lose money and time and is overall displeasing. All sales should be final assuming that the item was accurately portrayed in the photos and/or description. An error in a listing is a different story. It's like an antique store, except that it's all through pictures instead of in-person viewing.

opmustard

Reaction score
As a seller, that's how I prefer it assuming the item was described correctly and arrived intact. If I got paid for selling an item/service, I want to stay paid. I used my packing materials, tape, and time to ship it to you. There's no way I'm gonna wanna have it come back to me, especially since ebay will not return all the fees I get charged for selling on their site. Returning an item will cause me to lose money and time and is overall displeasing. All sales should be final assuming that the item was accurately portrayed in the photos and/or description. An error in a listing is a different story. It's like an antique store, except that it's all through pictures instead of in-person viewing.
Describing the condition of a bottle is very subjective. It depends on the seller's idea what they personally think thier bottle's condition is. Not everybody would agree on (example) mint. Since you can't see or touch the bottle (some sellers use only pictures to tell you its condition) you must rely on the sellers interpretation of its condition. Its when your able to see it in person can you agree or disagree with the seller.
I used to sell on ebay a long time ago before seller doesn't accept returns. I still think that if a buyer doesn't agree with my description, I think they should the choice of keeping or returning it.
I know about the cost of selling, fees, etc. but to me that all a part of selling on ebay.
Inless I know the seller, on bottles that there is a no return, I ask every question I can think of prior to bidding on, just in case it doesn't match the seller's description. Then I have recoruse with ebay for a refund. That does work. If I don't receive an email back from the seller, I don't bid on the bottles.
Its fine that ebay has come up with another rules change, they're very good at that.
None of this applies to you because I don't know you as a seller on ebay.
opmustard

American

Reaction score
Ebay is no longer buyer OR seller friendly for antique glass. When they took away listing costs and transferred those costs to the other end, ebay was suddenly swamped with sellers that were just playing around and didn't want to really sell anything. If one listing out of a hundred sticks to the wall they are satisfied. Auction/bidding is on its way out.

opmustard

Reaction score
Ebay is no longer buyer OR seller friendly for antique glass. When they took away listing costs and transferred those costs to the other end, ebay was suddenly swamped with sellers that were just playing around and didn't want to really sell anything. If one listing out of a hundred sticks to the wall they are satisfied. Auction/bidding is on its way out.
Interesting concept about auction/bidding is on its way out. What format would take its place?
I know a few sellers on ebay and they seem to like the present format, however these sellers have been selling on ebay a long time. They have build up quite a following over the years. Sometimes they get unbelieveable prices on a lot of they're bottles, other stuff and what most people would consider junk.
I tried to figure out the cost of selling on ebay recently. I think that I came up with about 17% (including Paypal.)
The big auction houses charge 18 to 20% to the seller and buyer and for the buyer more if you use Paypal. Figure in the cost of shipping to and from them for either the seller or buyer.
I trust the large auction houses more, unless I know the ebay seller.
I guess they all have their place in the selling and buying world of bottles.
Bottle shows I like the best because they are just a lot of fun and I've have bought a lot of bottles at very good prices.
opmustard

nhpharm

Reaction score
You've found Bottles in Texas much older then 1880's+ Hutch's haven't you? LEON.
Yes, but I'm digging in Galveston. Most of the small towns in Texas were not founded until the 1890's, so for much of Texas, that is as old as the local stuff gets.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora