Curious about Ebay

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

opmustard

Reaction score
Yeah, WOW!
Yeah, I am surprised as well at some of the prices that hutches are going for these days.
I am from Hawai'i and most of the older bottles are hutches. Paying anywhere from $10.00 (a long time ago) to paying close to $800.00 ( also, a long time ago) for some rare hutches and every price in between. You guys would have loved the big dig near the airport in Hilo. Some really rare colors and some very rare hutches came from that dig.
I recently looked on ebay and was surprised to see what they're selling for. Mind you, I don't know much about hutches here. I didn't see that many pontiled sodas or mineral waters for sale as I have in the past.
There are so many hutches here, its mind boggling.
I did see a hutch that appeared to be radiated, always been leary of the purplish, amythest bottles.
opmustard

American

Reaction score
Interesting concept about auction/bidding is on its way out. What format would take its place?
I know a few sellers on ebay and they seem to like the present format, however these sellers have been selling on ebay a long time. They have build up quite a following over the years. Sometimes they get unbelieveable prices on a lot of they're bottles, other stuff and what most people would consider junk.
I tried to figure out the cost of selling on ebay recently. I think that I came up with about 17% (including Paypal.)
The big auction houses charge 18 to 20% to the seller and buyer and for the buyer more if you use Paypal. Figure in the cost of shipping to and from them for either the seller or buyer.
I trust the large auction houses more, unless I know the ebay seller.
I guess they all have their place in the selling and buying world of bottles.
Bottle shows I like the best because they are just a lot of fun and I've have bought a lot of bottles at very good prices.
opmustard
I should say bidding and auction format on EBAY is on its way out as sellers are opting for "buy it now" at what they decide is the upper end of a retail price, or just a fantasy price to see what would happen. If it doesn't sell they lose NOTHING

opmustard

Reaction score
I should say bidding and auction format on EBAY is on its way out as sellers are opting for "buy it now" at what they decide is the upper end of a retail price, or just a fantasy price to see what would happen. If it doesn't sell they lose NOTHING
Thank you for your post about ebay. I don't follow it enough to know what is or isn't happening.
However, I think that your on to something about the bidding on ebay (actually, not bidding.)
Does this mean if you don't sell your item then you don't pay ebay fees?
opmustard

American

Reaction score
Thank you for your post about ebay. I don't follow it enough to know what is or isn't happening.
However, I think that your on to something about the bidding on ebay (actually, not bidding.)
Does this mean if you don't sell your item then you don't pay ebay fees?
opmustard
No, it costs nothing if your item does not sell. You can just hit a button and relist it for another seven days and if it doesn't sell you can do it again and pay nothing. Ground Hog day. Buyers have to plow through hundreds of these listings that they have seen a hundred times. It used to be that all items started with a low bid and the market would show the current value after seven days, not the sellers arbitrary idea of what the most they can get.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu