D-Patent Coke Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bonham3

Reaction score
Hi all

It's been a long time since i have been on here.
I found a D-patent coke bottle today while out fishing along a river. Also caught a nice 19" brown trout :)
It's in pretty nice shape but was curious what the numbers / letter on the side
of the bottle nearer the bottom mean ?
Mine shows 26 L 4? (2 or a 3) hard to make out which.
It is stamped Lowell Mass on the bottom
It's a D-105529 green tint. 7 3/4" 6 oz. hobbleskirt.
Is there a way to nail down the exaxt date on these types of bottles ?
If by chance the 26 L 4? designates the date, i was also curious that the 42 or 43
would be it. I had read that they only made blue tint i believe during 1942-1945
and not green. Is this also true ? If this is true, and the date is 42 or 43 and mine is green then is that a rarity ?

Thank's for any info.

grime5

Reaction score
your bottle is either a 42 or 43. the d pat bottles were made from 38 to 51 the 26 is the mold number used and the l is for laurens glass co. hope i have helped you some. later greg

digdug

Reaction score
I had read that about the color before, due to a shortage of copper that they did not make the Coke bottles in the correct 'Georgia Green' color. But, every bottle I have ever seen from the WWII years has always been the correct color. So-I think what I read was not true, or not completely true anyway. I do have one clear Pat'D bottle. It seems the odd color ones are the rare ones, and the Georgia Green the common ones.

glass man

Reaction score
Read this thread and went and got the D-pat. coke from CARROLTON,GA,my nephew gave me AND IT HAD A VERY BLUE TINT TO IT! Then I noticed I was holding it close to me and the blue WAS COMING FROM THE VERY BLUE SHIRT I HAD ON![:D] Almost posted my great find before I realised my mistake! OH WELL![8D]

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Most of the war years I've seen are coke bottle green, but there are some blue and off colors from these years so the story is at least part true. I always heard the clear ones were made for the soldiers in Europe.

bonham3

Reaction score
Thanks all for your replies. Very helpful. I guess the color info i read about is mixed
opinions. Green is green :) Still a decent find considering what that bottle had to have been through to get to where it was when i found it. I find tons of shards in that river wash but hardly never any complete bottles. A lot of pottery pieces also
both glazed and unglazed. Never really dug there either. Most on surface or just beneath the sandy areas. Tough rugged bottles they are though.

glass man

Reaction score
HEY MAN ,I USED TO GET BOTTLES OUT OF A STREAM THAT RUNS THROUGH TOWN. A FACTORY USED TO DYE MATERIALS FOR YEARS AND WOULD SEND THE DYE WASTE INTO THIS STREAM. FOUND SOME GOOD BOTTLES ,BUT WERE ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO CLEAN FROM LYING IN POLLUTED WATER FOR ALL THOSE YEARS.I USED TO THINK THAT OVER TIME THE POLLUTION WOULD WASH AWAY EVEDIENTLY IT DON'T IT JUST LAYS ON THE BOTTOM SILT FOREVER? SAME WITH A CREEK THAT RUNS THROUGH TOWN . A CHEMICAL FACTORY DUMPED CRAP IN THE WATER FOR YEARS[THEY MADE AGENT ORANGE IN THE VIETNAM DAYS AMONG OTHER DEADLY CHEMICALS! THE WATER WAS FINE UNTIL YOU GOT RIGHT PAST WHERE THE FACTORY RAN THE CHEMS INTO THE CREEK AND THEN AS I WALKED BUBBLES STARTED COMING FROM THE BOTTOM AND THE SMELL WAS AWLFUL. I GOT OUT QUICK AND HAVE NEVER VENTURED THERE AGAIN! ON ONE WARM APRIL DAY WHEN THE PLANT WAS STILL OPERATING I WACTHED THE WATER COMING FROM THE FACTORY HEADED TO THE CREEK .STEAM WAS COMING OFF THE WATER COMING FROM THE FACTORY,I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT CHEMICAL COULD CAUSE STEAM LIKE THAT!

kbobam

Reaction score
Pat-D's have always been my favorites. I like the style of the slightly 'large' small print.
Please feel free to send me the bottle for further analysis.
While you're at it, please send a trout too. Bob ( :

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229