Damaged Pot lids.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BeachComber

Reaction score
Hey,
I have a few pot lids that are chipped to the point where the actual stenciling is damaged and missing. I have managed to fix the ceramic part of the lids to the point where most people cant tell the difference. I was wondering, however, if anyone knew what the best method is to repair the stenciling. Do i use an old ink pen? Model Paint? i have no idea how to go about fixing the stencils. Please if anyone has any ideas let me know thank you.

TROG

Reaction score
Hi.
To do a proper repair you need a good ceramic restorer which I would think there are quite few in the U S. This can be very expensive so would only think of doing it if the item was rare and valuable. If it is only the outside circle or a simple style of letter you could do it yourself with a very fine artists pencil. What brands are the lids that you need repairing.
Hope this helps a little.
This photo shows some face damage before repair

David

2E13FF53FBFF4699B407A2EBE4D062AF.jpg

Attachments

• 2E13FF53FBFF4699B407A2EBE4D062AF.jpg
    2E13FF53FBFF4699B407A2EBE4D062AF.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 314

TROG

Reaction score
This is after the repair and is quite good but certainly not perfect and is noticeable to the trained eye

0DF5DA6149684A7B978C982E9C4DA10B.jpg

Attachments

• 0DF5DA6149684A7B978C982E9C4DA10B.jpg
    0DF5DA6149684A7B978C982E9C4DA10B.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 319

BeachComber

Reaction score
hi,
I have practically aced the art of repairing ceramics!! hahaha, how ever the stenciling has always put a stop to many of my restorations. I have many damaged pot lids that i have found locally. However only two maybe a three are worth the restoration, at least i think. The first one is a Patty & co Bears Grease pot lid with a big chip which actually reaches the bears back. The second one is a Price & Gosnell before and after Toothpaste with two faces of Queen Victoria. I hear this one is a rare variant of the Gosnells. I have two identical ones, one in mint and the later one with a minor chip affecting the outer ring stencils. The third pot lid is From Halifax NS. Unfortunately, the lid is chipped in a manner that the company name is taken off. The street name is intact with the Queens emblem on the pot lid. Adress reads 7, Ganville Street Halifax NS. This particular lid is on loan from my collection to a friend in NS who is researching what a complete one looks like.
I am not specifically a pot lid collector, I am more of a life long bottle collector. However, a few years back i came across a site where i found exactly 23 pot lids all intact and mint, if not near mint. These varied with many different company names. Since then i have taken a huge interest in them. Thanks for your interest in my post. I will try different techniques on the more common pot lids to allow for trial and error runs! Here is a picture of the bears Grease, i must warn you this hurts to see such a beautiful lid so badly damaged.........sad. I will try to post more pictures of the other lids at a later date.

B8AB3E3DBD474B89B16CD232E25F54BE.jpg

Attachments

• B8AB3E3DBD474B89B16CD232E25F54BE.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 338

BeachComber

Reaction score
PS.... Great work on your restoration with your lid.

TROG

Reaction score
Hi,

I assume you are from Canada. I have a pot lid from Delaney/Dentist from
12d Granville St Halifax N S.

BeachComber

Reaction score
Hey,
Actually I am a born and raised Bermudian from Bermuda!! All of my Bottles, and Lids were found locally by myself, relatives, or close friends. For such a small country there is a large amount of bottles and lids to be found!! I have about 20 or so pot lids left in my collection. All the other ones have been sold or traded off, Which i now highly regret. I am in the process of moving houses and as a result my collection is all boxed up. I do however have a list of the lids i have. I will post that list tonight later on. Along with lids, i have found a few tooth paste lid bases with stenciling from various companies on them. Ive never come across those until a few years ago.

Reaction score
hi,
I have practically aced the art of repairing ceramics!! hahaha, how ever the stenciling has always put a stop to many of my restorations. I have many damaged pot lids that i have found locally. However only two maybe a three are worth the restoration, at least i think. The first one is a Patty & co Bears Grease pot lid with a big chip which actually reaches the bears back. The second one is a Price & Gosnell before and after Toothpaste with two faces of Queen Victoria. I hear this one is a rare variant of the Gosnells. I have two identical ones, one in mint and the later one with a minor chip affecting the outer ring stencils. The third pot lid is From Halifax NS. Unfortunately, the lid is chipped in a manner that the company name is taken off. The street name is intact with the Queens emblem on the pot lid. Adress reads 7, Ganville Street Halifax NS. This particular lid is on loan from my collection to a friend in NS who is researching what a complete one looks like.
I am not specifically a pot lid collector, I am more of a life long bottle collector. However, a few years back i came across a site where i found exactly 23 pot lids all intact and mint, if not near mint. These varied with many different company names. Since then i have taken a huge interest in them. Thanks for your interest in my post. I will try different techniques on the more common pot lids to allow for trial and error runs! Here is a picture of the bears Grease, i must warn you this hurts to see such a beautiful lid so badly damaged.........sad. I will try to post more pictures of the other lids at a later date.

Hi there came across your post about Halifax NS pot lid was not able to see picture could you send picture by chance?

Thanks Ron

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown