Delaware Punch..from Vancouver BC..who knew?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Yeah, Nanaimo Bottling distributed to the central and north island as well, I found a passage in a book that confirms that. There weren't many bottling companies on the central and north island anyway, only one I can think of at the moment is Gold Star Bottling in Courtenay, which I think went out of business too early anyway. Actually I just remembered, I have another Seven Up bottle, one from Seven Up Kelowna. Now that's a weird one, entirely embossed and clear. I'm thinking it probably didn't actually contain Seven Up.And those Gray bottles are great! I especially like the Edmonton one, even if I don't collect prairie bottles. I wonder if anything was actually bottled in these. The 1978 bottle actually contained Seven Up but those two look like they don't have a specific product listed.And here's something weird I just found online, a much more recent bottle from Seven Up Vancouver, definitely post-Gray Beverages: http://kpolsson.com/forsale/7up03.htm I can't think of how to explain that one.

Canadacan

Reaction score
The other two bottlers that could have Bottled 7up were 'Island bottling' and 'Goodwill Bottling' but I see no bottles with the names?...they were both around from the early 50's to the late 60's. The Nanaimo bottling designation on the back of the bottles was gone by about 1957 I think?... I have a 1955 7oz with it and a 1957 7oz with out a city...my 1954 10oz also has no city.Those 12oz are tough suckers to get...I came across a couple last year but never got them as the lables were badly faded :(.... hmmm got to pat attention to that neck ACL it's probably unique to the 12oz...and that bottle has to date somewhere between 1954 and say 60?... no earlier than 54 as that was when that label was introduced acording to the date codes on bottles I have.Ok now I really want one!..lol.....keep your eyes peeled for a 16oz...did I say 16oz?...yes!...It's just a therory at this point but It may exsist. I was corrosponding with a fellow in Maine and talking Pepsi ACl bottle sizes and I acknoledged that we do have 12oz bottles but not 16oz....but guess what we do!...was going through my bottles a few days back and found I have a 16oz Two-Way!...totally forgot I had it..has a date code of 1960.I have to email him and correct myself...and speaking of that the 7up cap I said was a 4 bubble is a 5 buble, it's a tiny one and I missed it because there is a scratch beside it.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Island Bottling and Goodwill Bottling bottled Coca-Cola, which usually wasn't bottled by the same companies which bottled Seven Up, so I don't think they would have. I don't know if you can shed more light on this, but from what I've noticed it seems like the brands which today are associated with Pepsi were bottled by Pepsi bottlers even before they were bought out, and the same goes for Coca-Cola.Don't think I've ever seen a Canadian sixteen ounce Seven Up bottle, though I feel like I might have a sixteen ounce something in my collection. A Coke maybe?

Canadacan

Reaction score
Yea I did not know those two bottled Coke as well... Never seen any crowns from them...maybe it was more into the 60's and they were using generic caps then.I know Old English Beverage out of Victoria did as I have a Coke crown marked with their name , as did Rummings limited I also have one of those. Coke probably bought out Goodwill...just guessing.Yea the companys still to this day carry some of the same...although Pepsi no longer carries Hires...for a long time now, We have Mug Root beer instead....But I think Dr Pepper/ Snapple took over the Crush products...Cadury took over Canada Dry I think... and so on.Could be a Pepsi...been trying to verify that one. But it did freak me out when I saw my 16 oz 2-way !

carling

Reaction score
Off topic, but I thought maybe you Canadian guys may know..... I saw a bottle from Canada the other day in an antique store. All I can remember is it was a red/white acl, with a giant red check mark on it. Maybe a 30 or 32 ounce. I don't remember the city. I was wondering if any of you guys were familiar with it, if it was a rare one? I didn't see one on ebay. Thanks,Rick

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Yeah I only know about the two bottling Coke because of a Coke tray from Goodwill I saw once, definitely 60's or later, and a mention of a Coke cooler given to someone by Island Bottling in some archives online somewhere. Which isn't definite proof, but reasonable enough to assume that they bottled Coke. I've also heard someone talking about Island Bottling Coke caps, and he was saying they're quite common, though I've never seen one in person. And Carling, I can't think of any sodas with big check marks on them. Though a quick Google search turns up a bottle called Quality Chekd from St. Catherines, Ontario, which seems to match your description. No pictures online though.

Canadacan

Reaction score
This was archived from 1986 on Canada Industry website: Investor: Coca-Cola Enterprises Inc., Atlanta, GA, USACanadian Business: Goodwill Bottling Ltd. and Goodwill Bottling North Ltd., Victoria, BC Manufacture and sell pre-mix beverages, fountain syrups and bottled soft drinks from concentrates.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Huh, Goodwill was around for a while then. I wonder how long Island Bottling was around, I didn't think they lasted much past the fifties but I could be wrong.Also, back to a previous topic, looks like the Rumming's bottles weren't original molds: https://www.etsy.com/listing/192495292/8-vintage-kayo-chocolate-drink-chicago?ref=marketAt least not the grid pattern ones anyway. The orange peel bottles there aren't quite the same as the Rumming's ones, but the grid ones look pretty spot-on.

Canadacan

Reaction score
Yes looks like a pretty close match on those bottles..my grid pattern has a triangle on it but can't tell if there is a C...but it is inverted, not uncommon for Canadian Glass houses to order molds from the USA.The earliest I can find GoodWill in the directories is 1955, the 1986 time seems right for when Coke would have taken over..it may have even been a couple years before. Pepsi took over Gray around the same time I would assume.My bottle has a date code of March/April 1962. I will will have to check into Island Bottling...nothing popped up when I was looking for Goodwill...HMMM?? [attachment=Goodwill 3.jpg][attachment=Goodwill 2.jpg][attachment=Goodwill 1.jpg]

Attachments

• 7722acb636d54437a5e24dff1c11851b.jpg
    7722acb636d54437a5e24dff1c11851b.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 110
  • f7ed6b21f632402a99af19d1e7691605.jpg
    f7ed6b21f632402a99af19d1e7691605.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 128
  • 6b3c6311c5c1412da87a6bb31c5ab191.jpg
    6b3c6311c5c1412da87a6bb31c5ab191.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 116

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Yeah I'm pretty sure my grid pattern one has a Consumer's logo on it. I can check tomorrow. Since Kay-O is a Canadian product (from Waterloo ON) it seems pretty likely it's the same company. I saw a mention of Goodwill expanding its bottling plant in 1954, but that could have been Goodwill expanding an existing plant to become its bottling plant and they worded it confusingly. I need to have a look at my Island Bottling bottles, because the smaller one has a really weird date code on the bottom that I think suggests it was made at least a decade before Rumming's went out of business. Of course it could be old stock, or they maybe could have relabeled existing Rumming's bottles for Island Bottling.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown