Demijohn wicker or no wicker?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mayhem

Reaction score
I picked up this dirty old thing for $2 at an estate sale. Should I leave it as is or cut off the wicker? It looks to be a lovely green color underneath.

Mayhem

1B52057991C54B1AACD9634188F07BE8.jpg

Attachments

• 1B52057991C54B1AACD9634188F07BE8.jpg
    1B52057991C54B1AACD9634188F07BE8.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 98

Asterx

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Its a long standing question here about demis that you ask, but the majority consensus seems to to remove the wicker. If it is a very common bottle underneath then there is a chance that it would be worth more with the wicker on. But, you'll always have the itch to see whats hiding underneath [;)]. You never know what may be under there. To me I would rip it off in a second. With the wrap on you cant appreciate the glass underneath. It doesn't look like it, but the bottle may be pontiled giving it a whole lot more value. In the end its up to you. If you do take it off, show us some pictures!

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
That's an odd bottle form, apears to have a tapered body. Most wickered demis are cyliders. It have a very crude wicker job, makes me think the caribean or some less industrial place. I leave wicker on unless the bottle looks very crude/pontilled or is a weird color. Common colors are aqua, amber, olive green.

ScottBSA

Reaction score
I, on the other hand, given the good condition of the wicker, would chose to leave the wicker on the bottle. If it was broken, I'd take it off. As a history buff, the hand made value extends to even children and the disabled. Lots of time the wicker was made around the basket by children or blind or otherwise handicapped folks. It's also hand work as old as the bottle. It was also part of the bottle and designed for aid in transport or protection of the glass bottle underneath. To me it's like taking off a label or removing the closure. Thanks for listening.
By the way, two bucks is an excellent price.

Scott

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: AntiqueMeds

That's an odd bottle form, apears to have a tapered body. Most wickered demis are cyliders. It have a very crude wicker job, makes me think the caribean or some less industrial place. I leave wicker on unless the bottle looks very crude/pontilled or is a weird color. Common colors are aqua, amber, olive green.
I'm with this but I won't guess an area of make. I think it's a newer, foreign made bottle though. It won't make much difference whether it's on of off but I personally think, for $2, it would look better off.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
I think it's a newer

Based on the lip style and the shape i'd agree it seems a later one. Its hard to tell for sure with the wicker on it without having it in hand.
A lot of existing bottles were wickered in places like Jamaica and Puerto Rico for rum and other utility uses.
The early factory made demijohns were usually very uniformly wickered.
See the ad on my blog ...
http://antiquemedicines.com/blog/?p=1104

nhglass

Reaction score
I tend to leave the wicker on if it is in pristine shape and take it off if it is damaged. It really is a matter of choice and up to the individual to decide in my opinion.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky