Demijohns Wanted

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

nhglass

Reaction score
Hi, I am looking to purchase demijohns in different shapes and colors. I am looking for bullet shaped, kidney shaped, apple shaped, demijohns in unusual colors, ( yellows, blues, Western Pink examples, examples with striations , etc) Oakland Glass Works ( OGW on base ) demijohns or any others with interesting character.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello, and welcome to the FORUM. I have done a lot of study on demijohns, I would appreciate you visiting my home page to see some of my interest and I would like to know what spikes your interest. They have been made for many years, and there are different characteristics that come with the changes of the making methods used through those years. Good luck in your quest.
RED Matthews

nhglass

Reaction score
Thank You Red, I have looked at your website numerous times. You have researched and posted a lot of useful information indeed ! Thank You for your kind words, much appreciated .

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well thank you for the vote of caring. there isn't much else an almost 84 year old man to do that is meaningful. It is important to learn how to tell when a bottle was made in a wooden mold, or a ceramic mold or how many mold parts were required, and how the air escape out-side the parison was done in the final blow.
It is aslo necessary to learn about all of the tools the glass-maker used and the marks they left on the glass that was formed. It is a great study and I have read at least a hunderd books on the subject, and still learn something new each week. I am pleased with this hobby, but I am not sure my wife is. At least after 83 years of married life we have a lot of other things to be tankful for.
She collects bristol vases, and I have yet to find a book that really covers how they made them. I am still looking and just a few months ago found information on a device pattented to form the ruffled tops on them. I would like to kinow how they formed the vertical profile shapes of them. I think I know but I would like to read about it.
Best to you and yours - and all the people that read all of these postings. RED Matthews

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu