Detroit Crock

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

toddrandolph

Reaction score
Here is an interesting crock I got among a lot of other stuff during a craigs list estate cleanout last summer. It's 1 gallon and has what is by far the most impressed wording on the back shoulder I have ever seen on a crock Moore & Foote, wholesale dealers in groceries, provisions, whitefish & trout, stoneware, paints, oils, dyewoods, sash & glass, anchors, chains, ropes, canvass, & other shipchan____ery t_e_r Detroit mich. ___ means letters I can't read. Name is very faint, but Moore & Foote is my best guess. Has anyone ever heard of this company or seen this impressed lettering on a crock before? This looks a lot like Ohio stoneware made in the 1840-60, period, I wonder if it was made here and shipped up there, or maybe they made similar styles of stoneware in Michigan. I don't ever recall seeing a piece of early Michigan stoneware.

Attachments

• ddbfa4de8c9744b6b2743e562045f47f.jpg
    ddbfa4de8c9744b6b2743e562045f47f.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 85

ScottBSA

Reaction score
The chand part is chandlery. That was a person who sold good to outfit a ship. the t-e-r needs some more mental work. From my limited knowledge of pottery, I would agree with the age you suggested. You probably know that the Akron area was a hot bed of pottery making in the mid 1800's.Did you get much snow last night? My mom and sisters live in Akron. Mom said it looks like 4-6" outside. Scott

toddrandolph

Reaction score
Same amount of snow here in Randolph. I live near Mogadore which made a lot of crocks that look just like this one, which is why I suspect this might have been made here and shipped up the canal to Cleveland and across the lake to Detroit and then somehow found its way home, but who knows.

sunrunner

Reaction score
a lot of this stone were was made in meney places in the Midwest saltglaze was a german discovery and there were a lot of geramans out thare.

sandchip

Reaction score
Can't tell much about the lettering, but it looks very nice from what I can see. The chic seems to like it. Look forward to more pictures.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eloc1