Did I just find what I think I found......... At the Goodwill?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Slowmovangogh

Reaction score
Can any one confirm for me that this is what I think it is? I was at the Goodwill this morning looking for a picture frame and saw this sitting on a shelf. I am still realatively new to the hobby, but this looks to me like a Black Glass Wine Bottle. There are no apparent seams so I think it is free blown. I also don't see a pontil mark on the bottom. If anyone can let me know if my suspicions are correct and give me an age range on it I would appreciate it.

Attachments

• P1590031.JPG
    P1590031.JPG
    519.5 KB · Views: 173
  • P1590032.JPG
    P1590032.JPG
    371.8 KB · Views: 172
  • P1590027.jpg
    P1590027.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 174
  • P1590028.JPG
    P1590028.JPG
    380.5 KB · Views: 162
  • P1590026.jpg
    P1590026.jpg
    462.4 KB · Views: 165

bottles_inc

Reaction score
I would say liquor bottle, not wine. Wine bottles have a pretty distinctive look. This looks like rum or whiskey or some other hard liquor to me

willong

Reaction score
Can any one confirm for me that this is what I think it is? I was at the Goodwill this morning looking for a picture frame and saw this sitting on a shelf. I am still realatively new to the hobby, but this looks to me like a Black Glass Wine Bottle. There are no apparent seams so I think it is free blown. I also don't see a pontil mark on the bottom. If anyone can let me know if my suspicions are correct and give me an age range on it I would appreciate it.

I would caution you against getting too excited. It's a nice bottle; and I am personally fond of black glass. However, it is neither free-blown nor vary rare in my opinion. It was most likely turn molded: blown in a mold and then rotated in that mold to erase the seam marks. Is the lip applied, or just tooled? (To me, it looks applied in one of your photos, but the shot is not large enough or clear enough for me to say for sure. You can feel inside with your pinky finger to determine if there is a junction, ledge, lap or etc.)

treeguyfred

Reaction score
It is a nice one... Almost certainly of English or Irish manufacture. I clearly see the gloppy glass of an applied lip finish. that plus the uneven bottom and shoulder indicates fairly early manufacture 1850's -1870's possibly a dip mold, the last photo shows bumpy glass not the high gloss of a turn mold, and no concentric lines that is seen in turn molds that early.
I expect that you didn't pay much at all at a Goodwill store ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora