Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

PorkDaSnork

Reaction score
So I’m walking in my forest, with a metal detector and I’m striking big fat zeroes. My metal detector starts going crazy! I get a hit that is long and big, so I start digging it out and it is a 2 foot tall mortar shell! These are them all cleaned up. Big one is Soviet, pretty obvious because of the Cyrillic writing on the top, I think it’s from 1975-1985, and the small one is possibly Canadian/American/UK because it is in English on the bottom, inscribed “A/S MARK 10 MORTAR”, plus more things i don’t understand. It also says 1963 on the bottom, so possibly from that year? 710 mL Coke bottle to scale.

UPDATE: Friend has told me that the Soviet one is much older than I thought... it’s an Anti-Tank shell from WWII.

Any facts/thoughts would be nice!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 300
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 295
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 296
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 275
Last edited:

PorkDaSnork

Reaction score
Probably gonna put my pool cues in them or just donate them. The small one is light but the Russian one is around 30-40 pounds.

Last edited:

PorkDaSnork

Reaction score
I'm confused. You preach that we other members are supposed to leave artifacts where we find them for the enjoyment of others, while you take home your finds. What am I missing here?
Because I found these on my private property, so they were technically already mine, I just didn’t know about them.

You shouldn’t be digging anywhere that isn’t your property, or if you have permission from the land owner. Most shipwrecks are historical sites, so unless you’re salvaging them legally, you have no right to take things from them. I’m probably not gonna keep them anyway... perhaps donate them to the Canadian War Museum.

RCO

Reaction score
my guess is someone left them in the woods cause they didn't know how else to dispose of them , your not near any military bases or training facilities .you can't exactly put them in the recycling or weekly trash pick up

PorkDaSnork

Reaction score
My
my guess is someone left them in the woods cause they didn't know how else to dispose of them , your not near any military bases or training facilities .you can't exactly put them in the recycling or weekly trash pick up
my thoughts exactly. I wasn’t near Base Borden so I wasn’t exactly near any sort of military bases... probably a veteran took em home as a trophy of war and then years later didn’t want them anymore and dumped them away.

sandchip

Reaction score
Because I found these on my private property, so they were technically already mine, I just didn’t know about them.

You shouldn’t be digging anywhere that isn’t your property, or if you have permission from the land owner. Most shipwrecks are historical sites, so unless you’re salvaging them legally, you have no right to take things from them. I’m probably not gonna keep them anyway... perhaps donate them to the Canadian War Museum.

The following is our exchange from the "Dead eye" thread:
sandchip said:
Not worth anything? I have items that wouldn't sell for a dime, yet I wouldn't take a million dollars for them. Value, like beauty, is in the eyes of the beholder.
exactly why you shouldn’t take them for yourself.

PorkDaSnork

What's chafing my rear end here, Saint Pork, is that you are making the pompous and incorrect blanket assumption, that my items were probably acquired illegally, or at the very least, unethically. Aside from my own land, everywhere I look is with written permission from the landowner, not only to cover myself, but to protect them from any liability in the event something should happen to me or my son while I am on their property. And I most definitely do not search historic sites, State, Federal or otherwise. I'd appreciate it if you'd save the self-righteous, moralistic lectures, at least until you know exactly what the hell you are talking about concerning the individual upon whom you are passing judgement.

What's almost amusing is that the item that came to mind that prompted my reply concerning value, is a pry bar about 5 ft. long that my grandfather made from a wagon axle during the Depression. To anybody else, it would be worth no more than scrap value, but to me, it's priceless, because both of my grandfathers died long before I was born and items like this are all I have of them. Exactly why I shouldn't take them for myself, huh? LOL.

RCO

Reaction score
My
my thoughts exactly. I wasn’t near Base Borden so I wasn’t exactly near any sort of military bases... probably a veteran took em home as a trophy of war and then years later didn’t want them anymore and dumped them away.

there is a few military surplus stores in northern Ontario , not exactly sure what they sell , there is one in North Bay . someone could of bought them maybe ? or found them on a military base

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky