Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

PorkDaSnork

Reaction score
The following is our exchange from the "Dead eye" thread:

exactly why you shouldn’t take them for yourself.

PorkDaSnork

What's chafing my rear end here, Saint Pork, is that you are making the pompous and incorrect blanket assumption, that my items were probably acquired illegally, or at the very least, unethically. Aside from my own land, everywhere I look is with written permission from the landowner, not only to cover myself, but to protect them from any liability in the event something should happen to me or my son while I am on their property. And I most definitely do not search historic sites, State, Federal or otherwise. I'd appreciate it if you'd save the self-righteous, moralistic lectures, at least until you know exactly what the hell you are talking about concerning the individual upon whom you are passing judgement.

What's almost amusing is that the item that came to mind that prompted my reply concerning value, is a pry bar about 5 ft. long that my grandfather made from a wagon axle during the Depression. To anybody else, it would be worth no more than scrap value, but to me, it's priceless, because both of my grandfathers died long before I was born and items like this are all I have of them. Exactly why I shouldn't take them for myself, huh? LOL.

This is what I’m pushing. I’m not trying to be a “saint”, I’m not trying to be politically correct, I’m literally enforcing the effing LAW.

seniorscuba1

Reaction score

This is what I’m pushing. I’m not trying to be a “saint”, I’m not trying to be politically correct, I’m literally enforcing the effing LAW.
but I am from Canada !! and as I said i started to dive in 1974 ( no doubt before you were born ) it was the wild west of Scuba those days . I remember getting stopped in a roadblock coming back from a wreck dive once when the RCMP officer saw the tanks and gear in the back seat . he asked me if i had taken any lobsters which is a big no no up here even than , I told him no I don't have any lobsters. he asked if he could look in my gear bag i said go ahead so he opened it and saw there was only wet dive gear and an empty scuba tank. I also had a goodie bag with 2 bronze spikes i found on remains of an old wreck . he opened the goodie bag saw the spikes and told me ok I could go . As long as I didn't have any lobsters it was OK . this was the way things were for quite a few years than . they are stricter now . and when the last of us old timers hang up the gear the days of finding portholes which is mounted over head as i write this is over

sandchip

Reaction score
You’re so stupid it’s beyond belief. The pry bar is YOUR property. It was never someone else’s. That’s sentimental value, and it’s kinda cool too. Dead eyes are not. I never ever said you dug without permission, I was assuming you DID ask permission, because thats my point. You wouldn’t dig on someone’s property without consent, right? So what makes it okay for people to salvage wrecks without permission? Here, I’ll even give you a couple things to read.

I'm stupid? Read your own direct reply to my statement right here. And rise above the insults, Pork.

Capture.PNG

Mjbottle

Reaction score
but I am from Canada !! and as I said i started to dive in 1974 ( no doubt before you were born ) it was the wild west of Scuba those days . I remember getting stopped in a roadblock coming back from a wreck dive once when the RCMP officer saw the tanks and gear in the back seat . he asked me if i had taken any lobsters which is a big no no up here even than , I told him no I don't have any lobsters. he asked if he could look in my gear bag i said go ahead so he opened it and saw there was only wet dive gear and an empty scuba tank. I also had a goodie bag with 2 bronze spikes i found on remains of an old wreck . he opened the goodie bag saw the spikes and told me ok I could go . As long as I didn't have any lobsters it was OK . this was the way things were for quite a few years than . they are stricter now . and when the last of us old timers hang up the gear the days of finding portholes which is mounted over head as i write this is over
[/QUOTE
Your story reminds me of the time i bought some bottles from an older gentleman, and he was explaining to me how him and his friend dug them from the sand while diving at freeport harbour in the bahamas in the 70's, he described the way they got them so well and vividly i could picture the scenery under the water that they had dived in.he sold me 9 beautiful bottles and told me they had brought back many more, i was amazed and asked him how they managed to bring all these back on the plane and he just looked at me with a smile and said "things were just different in the 70's" i loved that response lol. He was a realy cool dude. Anyways i just thought id share that since you brought back a good.memory for me.
Cheers

seniorscuba1

Reaction score
I'm stupid? Read your own direct reply to my statement right here. And rise above the insults, Pork.

View attachment 212518
hi Hi I see in your profile you live near Georgian Bay 7 minute if I'm not mistaken it is from what I've heard the greatest shipwreck dive spots in North America if not the world. the wrecks are in freshwater I have never drove there unfortunately but from what pictures I have seen and talking to people that have been to Georgian Bay is something to see, Atlantic Ocean off Nova Scotia is a little different it has more life and all the Great Lakes combined but the corrosive effect of salt water in the pounding of Atlantic storms and the fact that these wrecks I've been blown salvaged long before Scuba diving was discovered means shipwrecks especially wooden ones don't last long. I'm sure I can take you over spots where rather large wooden constructed vessels are wrecked and you probably wouldn't know there was a shipwreck there. As for the Petra the wreck the deadeye came off of are those made of iron it' has been on shallow Reef 110 years and was blown and heavily Salvaged long before the scuba divers I could put the deadeye back but there's nothing to put it on the wreck is rusted smashed pieces of iron spread across a shallow Reef

seniorscuba1

Reaction score
Baby do that that manthank you sir brings back good memories for me to it was seat of the pants scuba t hose days. Using an old ex Navy flat neoprene wetsuit that you had to load the powder to put on an old set of Tanks -38 cubic foot co2 fire extinguishers stamp usn 1942 with a 1 1/2 inch to 1/2 inch bushing so the valves will fit do call plumbers nightmares no shop would ever fill rem now and an old double hose regulator that was made in the sixties and that was about it no gauges when you ran out of there you pull down your reserve in the divers over. God I miss those days

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado