Did some Stoddard bottles have Iron Pontils?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

annie44

Reaction score
The "Stoddard" Stubby bottles that are pontiled usually have a sand chip pontil. I have more of these bottles than anyone needs because I really like them, and none of them have an iron pontil. (They are all different, too) That one looks like it has iron residue, but it is a bit hard to tell from the photo.
The olive green color is definitely more scarce than amber. I'd have to see some backlit photos to show the color better before I could say what I would pay for it.......the amber ones go for anywhere from $65-$115.......

www.qualityantiquebottles.com

annie44

Reaction score
I have seen some nice Stoddard whiskeys and demijohns with iron pontils........

appliedlips

Reaction score
I'm not sure about Stoddard having IP's or not but I think the "Stoddard Stubbies" were also blown at several New England glassworks.. I think kungfufighter & earlyglass could answer this more accurately..

earlyglass

Reaction score
Yes, iron pontils were used... example, the Kimballs Jaundice Bitters and Smiths Green Mountain Renovator.
Many medicines, utilities, ales and stubbies had iron pontils, much of which was done at the Weeks & Gilson works.

Mike

annie44

Reaction score
I always say "Stoddard" stubby because that is how they are commonly known, but put Stoddard in quotes as they definitely come from any of a number of New England glasshouses.....

appliedlips

Reaction score
Good info Mike. Those are good examples I can't believe I forgot about those two? Have you ever dug at the glasshouse site?

I use the term also Cindy. I just try to point out that all crude,amber & olive glass is not Stoddard..If you look at ebay it seems that every amber utility,master ink,demijohn,etc. is Stoddard.

earlyglass

Reaction score
Pretty good Matt!
Many folks don't know that Stoddard did hock wines.

Ever find out any more about our Russian beauty?

Mike

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora