Dieing?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

PrivyCheese

Reaction score
Mods if you see fit to kill my thread....have at it....just will reinforce my feelings. My discussion involves antique bottles and this site. Nothing political.....no religion....no gun control.

I have been visiting this site for sometime now, I cant but help but see the continual decline in the quality of post and posters. Once upon a time this site was chock full of quality information with some of the top collectors in our field of collecting. Not the case now. Where are the top collectors? Why dont they come here? Where are all the diggers? Trust me when I say that they are still out there digging. No this site has turned into a "clique"...if you dont agree with or fit in....your not welcome. No longer do we come together for the betterment of the hobby. Very few threads exist without it devolving into a mud slinging contest. Its just not fun anymore. I see the number of threads and post diminishing daily. Is this place dieing a slow death? Its a real shame if you ask me......Who do I blame? Plenty of blame to go around. Because I have been involved with bottles for 40 years I will continue to visit these foam green pages....but will continue to post less and less.....just not worth it anymore.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I think you are just getting older. Your parents were Beatlemaniacs and their parents thought the Beatles were the muses of Satan.

From what great height did this forum fall?

When exactly was the 'heyday' of good ole ABN?

..and if you leave us, will that not further hasten the decomposition of this rotting corpse of an institution?

Penn Digger

Reaction score
I agree that there has been a decline in the posting of real good digs. There are at least 2 reasons for that. Many on here, including me, have had a real bad digging season or even year or two. The ground was hard as concrete around here this summer coupled with back problems. Success in digging comes and goes like luck most of the time. I know some hard core diggers who mainly read the posts on here and rarely post their digs because they don't want other diggers on their trail. They should at least do some post bottle clean up pictures for us.

I have been guilty of posting some harsh things on here. Others have done the same. You were on the one band wagon with me PrivyCheese. Remember the infamous bottle tumbler thread about the demise of SickRick's swirl soda bottle? That one got justifiably bad. I also was harsh on Obama, but that's water under the bridge for 4 more years. I don't feel that I am in any clique on here, perhaps the opposite. I do think that we need to agree to disagree more and move on .

Some of the real "bottle pros" that used to post regularly have moved on due to a lack of appreciation in at least one case, had personal tragedies in their lives that took priority, passed away in a few cases....

This forum is too good of a place to die off. Like other forums, the frequency of posts will go up and down like the stock market due to many factors. There are still a lot of great people who love antique bottles posting on here IMHO.

PD

LC

Reaction score
I miss seeing the digs on here . Here where I live there is nothing to dig or if there is I have no idea where it is . It was pretty well hunted out years ago . I think it is that way over many parts of the country as well . This hobby has been around for some time .

Penn Digger

Reaction score
LC

There are almost always still places to dig. You gotta use your head and be creative! Search out still standing buildings that used to be drug stores pre 1900. We have had had some real nice digs underneath buildings. Last winter we dug a wood lined privy under a building and had some great success. Get a hold of old maps or Sanborns that might show where the privies were despite what is there now. Some good bottles have been dug underneath current alley ways and parking lots. Knock on doors and ask permission! Talk to old time diggers, some of the stuff they left behind 40 years ago is sometimes collectible now. Many town dumps were never totally dug out. When the layer got thin they moved elsewhere. Joe and I just dug some bottles at a dump that was supposedly dug out in the 70's.

PD

LC

Reaction score
The town where I live is a pretty small town . I know the guy who dug the original town dump , they dug it out to the bottom , that was years ago . The old drugstore in town had a basement under it . I asked the druggist that was there at present if there was anything old in the basement being it had been a drugstore in the early 1900s . He said he had paid a guy to clean it out and take it to the dump the year before , made me sick when he told me that there had been a lot of old bottles down there . There may be some privies possibly here in town but they would be residential which would be worth digging I suppose . Wish I could have been more active years ago when I was digging in Cincinnati .

LC

Reaction score
Have thought about it Penn , might try and get more serious next spring . I have been wanting to get up with Dollarbill for some time and try and dig a little together . We have talked about it for some time . He knows where there are a few spots to dig . He came up here a couple of years ago . We checked out the yard of an old funeral parlor here in town . Thought we had something going for a short time as when he probed the old probe did a quick sinking action . Ended up being a blasted cistern lol . So much for getting excited .

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Yes I agree with John. I still enjoy coming here but it is definitely not like it used to be.Things change but that is the way it happens in real life also. So I guess we have to go with the flow or find another bottle site to "belong" to.
The problem is not ABN it is the personalty conflicts that swarm in. Again,it is part of life. I admit I have been know to "instigate" in the past. But I try not to start anything unless I feel I have been wronged. But mostly I use the "green button"
As to posting digs. I always posted all of my digs. I don't care who knows where I am. If you can't find your own place to dig thats your problem. No need to be a "pirate" I have been off of the digging map for a while.I have a lot of stuff going on but I will be back. Soon. I love to post my digs it is part of the excitement. Some people just dont show what they have dug,I think that is stupid ya got to share the hobby man. Someone once said to me"Why do you write story's in that magazine,people will know where you are dinging" my reply was who give a flying F!@#$%^. I like to spread the joy of bottle digging around. Anyway i''m going to be late for work. Merry Christmas EVE to all who are not on the green button list [:D]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky