Dig sites?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

dlea

Reaction score
HI, Newbie here. What's the best way to find old dumps or places to dig? How do you out who the property owners are? Thanks.

gdog68

Reaction score
Depends on what kind of bottle hunting you are looking for and the geography of your area. I personally enjoy snorkeling in rivers and looking for dumps on the riverbanks. Water does a lot of the digging and work for you and new stuff gets washed out over time(if it's muddy you can get a potato rake and drag it along the river bed). If you want to find river dumps look at old maps of your county on google of old homesteads in your area, old bridges, railroad crossings, etc that are close to the river. Take a small kayak and explore, look at the banks for any old bricks or signs of broken glass(bring a fishing pole too might come across a huge pike!!!) Some of the small towns in my area are bordered by rivers that have old town dumps, other dumps I have found have been out in the country and are old 1890s to 1950s farm dumps. There is a website online that I believe will show the property lines and the homestead that owns the property.

Finding a privy and getting permission I think can be more challenging. I do not have any sites I have found yet, but others on this site who have dug privys can help us both with that subject.

Newtothiss

Reaction score
Unless you love BS, research, hiking and digging....
It is infinitely cheaper (and less of a head/heartache) to just buy what you like.

I know that's not what you want to hear.

Depending on where you live and the work you're willing to put in, it may not be all that difficult?

Research, old maps, old aerials, word of mouth, etc...

Dje2004

Reaction score
HI, Newbie here. What's the best way to find old dumps or places to dig? How do you out who the property owners are? Thanks.
you wood look the age of the house or land or owners on google or the gold miner dump for that you could look on the Sanborn maps they wood help to

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu