Digging an 1870 to 1915 bottle plant up date. QUESTIONS

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

eddeeeddee

Reaction score
Hello all you wonderful bottle people. Well it day 3 of digging this old Bottle Manufacturing plant. So far I have found 22 Hutch bottles that are whole. I have found 7 crown tops that are whole and 8 billion crown tops with broken tops. I'm amazed that I'm finding so many whole hutch bottles so I'm thinking that they tossed all those bottles because they where no longer in use. Lots of labels Digging as slowed down because I'm up against some very large pieces of iron. So I'm thinking a new approach and start digging to the left on the other side of the old stump. The soil is very compact It takes almost an hour to remove one bottle. Okay now that I have all these bottles I have QUESTIONS AND MORE QUESTIONS.

I have checked out the Hutchbook at Hutchbook .com and I'm kind of getting the hang at navigating it (Thanks Leon), Under the little square that indicates Rarity, some of those boxes are blank and I can not find an explanation for the blank block. So R=rare S= scarce and C=common. Does anyone know what the blank box means????????? I found two that have a blank box under rating. One is WELLER BOTTLING WORKS SARATOGA SPRINGS N.Y. The Hutchbook # NY1193 and the other is a long label CHICAGO CONSOLIDATED BOTTLING CO It has a long label and gives the address and has a date of 1902 embossed on it. The Hutchbook # IL0187. Its a very cool bottle. so I have dug 7 rare, 4 scarce and 3 common ones so far listed in the Hutchbook.

So another Question I have is how do you clean them if they still have that weird stopper in them and are they worth more if the stopper is in them???? and speaking of worth. Are they worth any thing?? I know that a bottle is only worth what you can get for it. But is there a market for rare and scarce hutches???? I have been checking out some of the bottle auctions and e bay and some of the other sites that sell bottles and it looks like on average a hutch goes for about 25.00 to 37.00 dollars but some I watched an action by crick digger that had a couple of hutches that were rated as rare or scarce go for 60.00 to 75.00. Is there a market for hutches?????

Another question is about the slick rick's I have found. Has any one ever seen a Hutch with a paper label?? I have also found a lot of slick rick crown tops all have an oval where embossing usually goes. All of the slick rick hutches have on the bottom THE LEQUID. Some in a diamond others do not. Any one know what that means??????

Okay here a few pics from the latest dig. I did not bring the camera, I forgot it so these are after the fact. Thanks for all your knowledge people.

The first pic is the CHICAGO CONSOLITATED BOTTLING CO 14 TO 18 LOMAX PLACE CHICAGO ILLS. 1902 The next two pics are of two hutches listed as rare in the hutch book. They are PIKEVILLE BOTTLING WORKS PIKEVILLE KY and AUXIER BOTTLING CO PIKEVILLE KY. And then a pic some of the hutches together then a pic of the WELLER BOTTLING WORKS SARATOGA SPRINGS N. Y. that has a blank box on the rarity ratings.
DSC07298.JPG
DSC07276.JPG
DSC07275.JPG
DSC07277.JPG
DSC07295.JPG

hemihampton

Reaction score
As far as I know a blank Box just means he's not aware of a Rarity. Sometimes people who specialize in that Town or State can recommend to him (Ron Fowler) there opinion on Rarity. I do this when I have him post my Bottles on there. Sometimes he knows or has his own opinion but sometimes he don't. He can't know every Hutch Bottle in every State so needs others Help. You ask if they have Value, too certain people like myself that collect them then YES. They can range from as little $3-$5 for common or beat up Bottles into several Hundreds for much more desirable rarer Bottles. Old pics of some of my Hutches. All are different Michigan Bottles. LEON.

P.S. I got 3 with paper labels & have seen others. Slick Hutchs are not real common but also have little value being a slick.

HutchCollection (2).JPG
HutchesFromTopDown.JPG
HutchesFromBottomUp.JPG

Last edited:

eddeeeddee

Reaction score
As far as I know a blank Box just means he's not aware of a Rarity. Sometimes people who specialize in that Town or State can recommend to him (Ron Fowler) there opinion on Rarity. I do this when I have him post my Bottles on there. Sometimes he knows or has his own opinion but sometimes he don't. He can't know every Hutch Bottle in every State so needs others Help. You ask if they have Value, too certain people like myself that collect them then YES. They can range from as little $3-$5 for common or beat up Bottles into several Hundreds for much more desirable rarer Bottles. Old pics of some of my Hutches. LEON.

P.S. I got 3 with paper labels & have seen others. Slick Hutchs are not real common but also have little value being a slick.

View attachment 239978View attachment 239979View attachment 239980
Leon thanks for the info Very impressive soda collection. I'm in aw

UnderMiner

Reaction score
The way I clean hutches that still have the stopper is to just fill them 1/4 way with a mixture of water and a little sand and then swish and shake it all around in there for 10 minutes or so. This removes all the dirt stuck to the sides without damaging the rubber stopper.

Mailman1960

Reaction score
As far as I know a blank Box just means he's not aware of a Rarity. Sometimes people who specialize in that Town or State can recommend to him (Ron Fowler) there opinion on Rarity. I do this when I have him post my Bottles on there. Sometimes he knows or has his own opinion but sometimes he don't. He can't know every Hutch Bottle in every State so needs others Help. You ask if they have Value, too certain people like myself that collect them then YES. They can range from as little $3-$5 for common or beat up Bottles into several Hundreds for much more desirable rarer Bottles. Old pics of some of my Hutches. LEON.

View attachment 239978View attachment 239979View attachment 239980
Holy Crap!!! That be a lot of
Hutches.

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Quite the collection! --Behold greatness. He has a Charger (Yes, with a hemi), digs every chance he gets, + a heart of gold. --Has my vote in Nov. :cool: Note: We have a lot of such quality members and really should have our own political party. (What would we call it? Hmmm.)

Last edited:

Mailman1960

Reaction score
Behold greatness. He has a Charger (Yes, with a hemi), digs every chance he gets, + a heart of gold. --Has my vote in Nov. :cool:
Yeah, is his gas pedal the shape of a foot like mine. Kidding. As a youngster my current brother-in-law had one and that's what I remember about it.
Ain't that America!!!!!

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
It certainly is! As the Airborne Rangers say "All the way!" :cool: (Those pedals were polished steel. --Never forget 'em.:))

Another thing I'll never forget--went to Tajuana as a 10 year old. Vendors sold sandals with cut sections of car tires for soles. Sign read "Guaranteed 10,000 miles.":D

eddeeeddee

Reaction score
The way I clean hutches that still have the stopper is to just fill them 1/4 way with a mixture of water and a little sand and then swish and shake it all around in there for 10 minutes or so. This removes all the dirt stuck to the sides without damaging the rubber stopper.
Thanks I'll have to try that. I was cleaning on and the stopper broke and now is stuck in the bottle.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora