Digging an 1870 to 1915 bottle plant up date. QUESTIONS

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

nhpharm

Reaction score
Sounds like this continues to be an awesome dig! The rarity system on Hutchbook is a bit tricky; Ron gets feedback from local collectors on how rare they think it is, but in many cases that rarity rating may not be valid. I wouldn't stake a lot on those ratings; there are "rare" hutch sodas on there that I have personally handled dozens of. Obviously, with many small town hutch sodas being quite scarce, digging 20 of the same hutch soda will definitely also change the rarity rating.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Wow that spot just keeps getting better! That's a dream site you've got there, not many places like that where you can dig so many hutches these days.

Kaleb Pusateri

Reaction score
As far as I know a blank Box just means he's not aware of a Rarity. Sometimes people who specialize in that Town or State can recommend to him (Ron Fowler) there opinion on Rarity. I do this when I have him post my Bottles on there. Sometimes he knows or has his own opinion but sometimes he don't. He can't know every Hutch Bottle in every State so needs others Help. You ask if they have Value, too certain people like myself that collect them then YES. They can range from as little $3-$5 for common or beat up Bottles into several Hundreds for much more desirable rarer Bottles. Old pics of some of my Hutches. All are different Michigan Bottles. LEON.

P.S. I got 3 with paper labels & have seen others. Slick Hutchs are not real common but also have little value being a slick.

View attachment 239978View attachment 239979View attachment 239980
That is an amazing collection of hutches!

hemihampton

Reaction score
I'd be interested in the Vances Ginger Ale from Detroit since I'm from Detroit. Could trade you a Hutch for it? Let me know? LEON.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Yes I have a pic of the coke. The bottle says Coca Cola under that TRADEMARK REGISTERED At the Base CHARELSTON BOTTLING WORKS. On the other side it has the coca cola thing like the front, but on the base it says CONTENTS 6 1/2 FLUID OUNCES. On the heel D.O.C. 1183. On the Bottom Coca Cola.
So they have several trains that ride through the woods. You maybe took the Potomac Eagle Scenic Railroad. That is the most poplar one. There is also an Amtrak you can take through the New River Gorge that goes through ghost town after ghost town. There are about 20 of them in the gorge. Nothing left of them but old foundation and you can't really see any thing in the summer time because of all the foliage,
View attachment 240117

Any straight sided Coke is a Good Coke. My Coca Cola Book calls the Charleston version one of the more common ones though. LEON.

sandchip

Reaction score
Great finds, and all coming out of some kind soil amazingly clean. Thanks for sharing.

eddeeeddee

Reaction score
Great finds, and all coming out of some kind soil amazingly clean. Thanks for sharing.
No there actually packed full of clay and a bitch to get clean. I dig a day then the next day I research all the bottles I find and try and clean them up a bit then I post in here

Mailman1960

Reaction score
No there actually packed full of clay and a bitch to get clean. I dig a day then the next day I research all the bottles I find and try and clean them up a bit then I post in here
[/QUO
Are you in an area where clay is common. Where I'm at you have to dig really far down to get clay and if Clay is on the surface lot of times that means it was a dump that they sealed off. And they usually seal it with blue clay because nothing could leech out from it, and the rain doesn't penetrate it. And it's usually capped off for a reason not real good what's underneath it.

eddeeeddee

Reaction score
The first foot or so is forest litter or duff I think they call it, but the natural ground is clay. It looks like when they built house's here in the 40's they bull dozed every thing over the side of the hill

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi