Digging at a c.1910 Insane Asylum dump, and other fortuitous finds!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

TJSJHART

Reaction score
those bent up spoons ,,,remind me of scenes in movies of junkies "cooking up spoons" but you wouldn't think the residents of a hospital would use them .

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Great post, Plummy! I love the customized tableware, and those NM photos are neat, too!

SergioWilkins

Reaction score
This has been the most fascinating read I've had on this site in a while! For a site with a lot of awesome contributions, that really means something!
Congrats on some good finds, and continue to show us what comes out of the ground at that asylum dump!

splante

Reaction score
I have to agree one of the better post, very well written. Awesome items and descriptions.
We have a few old asylums which have closed in our stae also will have to give them a look. Some of the same HAUNTED stories seem to go along with these places. Believe it is on State property will I need to seek out permission or should I just check it out first?

Makes you think what other places maybe overlooked for finding dumps.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Plumby,

Wow, two great stories for the price of one, an Insane Dig and a Great Get!

Fgallery1-2.jpg
I have a hunch this is gonna be an Epic dump for you. Hell, it's already epic & you've just begun.

149572_10100272610268650_1937295_60912024_6767827_n.jpg
The Altered silverware is hauntingly evocative.

Please do keep us lavishly updated, pretty please.
Fgallery1-1.jpg
From.

Did'ya see these 3 Vidz? Man that place was huge!

Barton09.png
From.

Dr. Zeller
zeller_dr.jpg
seems to have been a remarkable guy.

"Dr. Zeller also shocked the mental health authorities by removing all mechanical restraints and banning the use of narcotics to subdue patients. This was the first institution in Illinois to require only eight hours of work a day for all of its employees and it was the first to place women workers in the male wards.
As a gentle reminder of the progress that had been made, Dr. Zeller commissioned a sundial to be made. On this ornament, the sculptor carved these words on the four respective faces of its stone base: “Eight Hours Laborâ€, “Non-Imprisonmentâ€, “Non-Restraint†and “Non-Resistanceâ€." From.

Your too cool Great Western Tonic Bitters is just that. Wonderfully crude embossing on that beauty! "More, more!" I say.

1541360012035221126S500x500Q85.jpg

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Hmmm,....Cool, but kind of creepy spot...I flash right to "One flew over the Cuckoo's nest"...[:D] ...We have a big old largely abandoned State mental facility in nearby Warren Pa, (home of "Piso's cure")...Some of those places even had their own embossed milks.

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
Nice score on the Peoria bitters! The embossing is wonderfully crude. That hospital looks pretty awesome, I'd prob. visit it just to take pictures.

peejrey

Reaction score
Interesting stuff, never seen a syringe like that.
I think we should all go to the, Waverly Hills Sanatorium.
We'll find lots of interesting stuff there.....................

lexdigger

Reaction score
Waverly Hills is close to where I'm digging. It's on private property and has active tours, a haunted house, paranormal investigators and all sorts of other attraction. At one time it was abandoned and I'm sure a lot of Louisville diggers hit it hard when they had the chance. Being a Sanatorium makes it even more creepy than a insane asylum. I've been there before and it's very eerie to think of all the death and despair that happened within those walls! At the Top of the list for anyone, like myself, who is interested in the macabre!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDuncum