Diving in the Chicago River?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

antlerman23

Reaction score
Has anyone ever dove for bottles in the Chicago River? I just saw something on TV about a submarine found down there in the teens, and it got me wondering if anyone has ever looked for bottles down there. Imagine all the bottles that have been tossed into there in the past 300 years.
I have the same question about the canals of Venice, but I believe those are cleaned out every so often.

coldwater diver

Reaction score
Hi Antlerman, I would if I lived out there. I would definitely not dive it in warm weather. Visibility is a factor as well, generally speaking coldwinter months offer the best time to dive for many reasons. I am sure there are many treasures waiting to be found. Ive seen the canals in Venice, zero viz. Lots of nice topless beaches nearby though.

sunrunner

Reaction score
neat idea , thou that river from what I've heard has had big changes made to it . First they moved a big part of it to change the direction of the flow , they also dragged the hell out of it . the Des Plaines might be a better shot.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
I grew up in Chicago. I was never tempted to swim in that river.

Sunrunner is correct. Engineers changed the direction of flow of the river. It now drains Lake Michigan instead of draining into the Lake. They did that in 1900 in order to stop the pollution of the lakefront. The Chicago River now empties into the Illinois River by way of the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal. Get it? . . . The SANITARY Canal.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis