Does anyone know anything about this bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

PCSJason

Reaction score
This bottle came from a family members liquor cabinet. We just wanted to know if anyone has any info about this bottle.

Attachments

• IMG_2630.JPEG
    IMG_2630.JPEG
    937.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2629.JPEG
    IMG_2629.JPEG
    853.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2628.JPEG
    IMG_2628.JPEG
    820.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2627.JPEG
    IMG_2627.JPEG
    695.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2626.JPEG
    IMG_2626.JPEG
    888 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2625.JPEG
    IMG_2625.JPEG
    923.1 KB · Views: 31

Hogtown Hunter

Reaction score
Looks like an Old Quaker whiskey bottle. The paper label looks to be put on the bottle later. Don't know why you would use an old whiskey bottle to store rock candy?

Hogtown Hunter

Reaction score
The tax stamp has Wilson Bell as State Treasurer for Missouri. He was in office from 1941-1945 so that's probably the age of bottle. WW2 bottle. Was your family member in the military?
I found a recipe for a Kummel drink with Rock Candy in it. Did your family member fight in Germany? Maybe he had a similar type drink while he was there and made his own concoction when he got home?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240513_202018_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240513_202018_Chrome.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

PCSJason

Reaction score
Looks like an Old Quaker whiskey bottle. The paper label looks to be put on the bottle later. Don't know why you would use an old whiskey bottle to store rock candy?
Thanks for your response. I think the rock candy was flavoring the whiskey. Doesn't sound good to me.

PCSJason

Reaction score
The tax stamp has Wilson Bell as State Treasurer for Missouri. He was in office from 1941-1945 so that's probably the age of bottle. WW2 bottle. Was your family member in the military?
I found a recipe for a Kummel drink with Rock Candy in it. Did your family member fight in Germany? Maybe he had a similar type drink while he was there and made his own concoction when he got home?
That is great feedback! My family member was not in the military, but he was from Germany and got to America in the early 1930's.

DavidW

Reaction score
Hello, can you please post a photo (as sharp as possible) of the base markings? All liquor bottles (bottles made inside the United States) marked with the phrase "FEDERAL LAW FORBIDS SALE OR REUSE OF THIS BOTTLE" were required by the US Government to ALSO carry a date code and info identifying the glass manufacturer, embossed into the bottom of the bottle.

If I can see the base, perhaps we can decode the year made and the maker of the bottle. (Although that only tells us about the bottle itself, since the paper labels give info on the contents).

PCSJason

Reaction score
Hello, can you please post a photo (as sharp as possible) of the base markings? All liquor bottles (bottles made inside the United States) marked with the phrase "FEDERAL LAW FORBIDS SALE OR REUSE OF THIS BOTTLE" were required by the US Government to ALSO carry a date code and info identifying the glass manufacturer, embossed into the bottom of the bottle.

If I can see the base, perhaps we can decode the year made and the maker of the bottle. (Although that only tells us about the bottle itself, since the paper labels give info on the contents).
Thank you for helping. I cannot get a decent picture of the markings. But here is what I see. The top line looks like D9, the second line looks like 68 F with a circle around it 42, the bottom line looks like M-165 A.

DavidW

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! Yes, clear glass can be very hard to photograph.

So here is what I can pass along......................

D-9 = Distiller number for Schenley Distillery

68 = Liquor Bottle Permit Number

F = Fairmount Glass Company, Indianapolis, Indiana (maker of the bottle) - but that should be an "F in a hexagon" ? If it is indistinct it may look like a circle.

42 = 1942, the year the bottle was made.

M-165 A - a code number of uncertain purpose, maybe a bottle style/bottle design number or the mold ID number

A few links with some more info (this gets into the weeds):

List showing some Distiller numbers seen on liquor bottles (not all that have been seen):

List of liquor bottle permit numbers:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNMilkMan