Does Anyone Know How to Remove Paint from Old Signs?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

HunterTheFox59

Reaction score
I've decided to try the paint stripper one more time, this time it's a spray. I did manage to chip away at some of the paint with my fingernail, revealing more of the original color.
1672708101335.png

hemihampton

Reaction score
The problem with paint stripper is 10 & 20 years ago it worked great. BUT, The new Paint Strippers are green eco Friendly so all the old toxic poisonous chemicals that used to be in them that actually work great & did its job are now gone. Replaced with crappy useless paint stripper that does nothing. I know this from 40 years of using paint strippers. LEON.

HunterTheFox59

Reaction score
That's what I tried yesterday, Klean Strip Paint & Varnish Stripper, with the green badge up in the corner. I sprayed some on last night, and it said to wait 24 hours for oil-based paint, which I think it is. When I applied the spray, waited 30 minutes, and then rubbed it off, nothing much changed, but it looked like none of the red and black was rubbing off on the paper towel, just the green.

Gramr

Reaction score
I bought this 1950s Country Club Quality Beverages sign today, but at some point, someone had painted it green. A little bit of the original paint is peeking through, and I can tell it was red with a black border, with Country Club and Beverages written in white and Quality in black. I already tried some paint stripper on the back where some of the green paint had dripped down, but that just took off the original color too. Really stumped here, and any advice would help!
View attachment 242670

Gramr

Reaction score
The problem with paint stripper is 10 & 20 years ago it worked great. BUT, The new Paint Strippers are green eco Friendly so all the old toxic poisonous chemicals that used to be in them that actually work great & did its job are now gone. Replaced with crappy useless paint stripper that does nothing. I know this from 40 years of using paint strippers. LEON.
Soda blasting is very delicate if care is taken. Crushed walnut shells are also used. My advice is to take it to a old school paint shop. You'll just know when your speaking to the right guy. They know paint and its behavior. They usually have a intrest in signs as well. Hint, bring beer...about half a hour before close. Leave beer in car at first. Once you have his intrest casually ask if he's thirsty....

hemihampton

Reaction score
Soda blasting is very delicate if care is taken. Crushed walnut shells are also used. My advice is to take it to a old school paint shop. You'll just know when your speaking to the right guy. They know paint and its behavior. They usually have a intrest in signs as well. Hint, bring beer...about half a hour before close. Leave beer in car at first. Once you have his intrest casually ask if he's thirsty....
I work in old school paint shops my whole life Restoring & Painting old cars for a living. Been Painting cars for about 40 Years. Very familiar with paints & media/soda/walnut blasting ect., ect. I do not think it would be possible to media or soda or walnut blast with out damaging paint under neath. LEON.

hemihampton

Reaction score
If you could find a old 20 year old can of paint stripper before they removed all the good chemicals from it, it would probably work fine. I'm looking for a old can myself to strip old Beer Cans like I used to do with no problem. LEON.

P.S. Pic below of before & after.

2Paintoverssoaking.JPG
2Paintovers1Falstaff.JPG

Gramr

Reaction score
I bought this 1950s Country Club Quality Beverages sign today, but at some point, someone had painted it green. A little bit of the original paint is peeking through, and I can tell it was red with a black border, with Country Club and Beverages written in white and Quality in black. I already tried some paint stripper on the back where some of the green paint had dripped down, but that just took off the original color too. Really stumped here, and any advice would help!
View attachment 242670
One quick l wonder if it'll work...try putting it in the freezer the metal shrinks paint doesn't and may flake. This may cause the
I work in old school paint shops my whole life Restoring & Painting old cars for a living. Been Painting cars for about 40 Years. Very familiar with paints & media/soda/walnut blasting ect., ect. I do not think it would be possible to media or soda or walnut blast with out damaging paint under neath. LEON.
Thanks, I'm just a HD mechanic (the kind that gives you fisheyes) but l think my advice about finding a guy such as yourself for advice was accurate as after 40 years some should have rubbed off on you. Hopefully you may have a idea on how to proceed. Or perhaps a art restorer would have insight on this matter. Myself, some cotton wool, gun wash and a can of WD40 to stop things from going to far. But l have been known to have a heavy hand and hammers.

Gramr

Reaction score
I've decided to try the paint stripper one more time, this time it's a spray. I did manage to chip away at some of the paint with my fingernail, revealing more of the original color.
View attachment 242834
Gun wash. It's what is used to clean spray guns. Unfortunately only way l know of purchasing it is by 5gallon pail. But any painter can get you a jar. Word of caution wear gloves as gun wash thins stuff down to the point both it and whatever is diluted is now small enough to pass through your skin. Friend of mine died from bone cancer due to the icocienats (yes I've miss spelled that) in the crap.

Gramr

Reaction score
Gun wash. It's what is used to clean spray guns. Unfortunately only way l know of purchasing it is by 5gallon pail. But any painter can get you a jar. Word of caution wear gloves as gun wash thins stuff down to the point both it and whatever is diluted is now small enough to pass through your skin. Friend of mine died from bone cancer due to the icocienats (yes I've miss spelled that) in the crap

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky