Don't It Just Killya????

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

whiskeyman

Reaction score
Gota phone call from a guy in a nearby county...said he found my name & number in a book. He had 3 bottles he wanted to know about. He had found one listed in a price guide but the other two were different sizes than what was listed...

I asked what kind of bottles...whiskeys,medicines,...

He said they were BITTERS bottles...[8D]

Could he bring them up for me to look at & evaluate?

I said yeah, sure come on up...[:D]

He then asked if any Bitters were reproduced.

I immediately replied, "yes...most were made By Wheaton, but some were marked Taiwan...and some were unmarked."

He then stated...these 3 all have Wheaton on the bottom...[:(]

end of story.....[:mad:]

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Whiskey -
I think because of my websites, I get things like this on a weekly basis. I stopped getting my hopes up. Very few, but some do pay off. We talked about this before here, about how much time and work goes into helping others with their bottle questions. Then, either there is no reply and more times than anything, absolutely no thank yous. I'm used to it now, but it happens so often. I probably f o r g e t sometimes too to thank others. I really have no excuse for myself and won't try to make any. I think one reason many don't reply to sent history, info., rarity, prices, etc. is People hate to hear that their find is common, a repro. or has no value.

Yesterday alone was a day full of emails and talk on the many forums. I think I got something like 362 emails within a few hours, while I was out looking at lights in the sky.

whiskeyman

Reaction score
I am well aware of what ya mean, MEECH. This has happened to me numerous times too...but you have to go look anyway and talk to the people.

I had a woman call me about a year ago about her deceased Aunt's collection. Seems the Aunt & her hubby went digging in Baltimore a lot and in other coastal towns.

She wanted me to appraise the collection.

I went down & looked it over...the majority were BIM Baltimore sodas, beers, medicines. The best bottle was a Sarrecinia Life Bitters, but it had a crack.

There were about a dozen boxes yet unpacked, and she was to call me when she got those out.
I gave an appraisal on what I saw....and told her to be sure & call or email me, as I may be interested in buying the lot myself.

Months passed;;;;heard not a word.

I finally called her ,and her husband told me they had sold the bottles a couple of months earlier...and that they had tried to reach me but were unable to....(yeah, right).

The kicker to this tale:

I found out she is related to a former Club member who partnered with another member to buy the collection for $200.00 over my appraisal...

I was "had"....[:mad:]

whiskeyman

Reaction score
Last month I had 3 callers....one I knew and two were referred by others to contact me.
All had local whiskeys for sale and wanted to know their value.
I told them the values and said when they decided to sell to let me know.

I ain't heard a peep.

Two did say they would be back in touch ,as they wanted to "pick my brain" some more...[&:]

I ain't got that much brain left...HA!

whiskeyman

Reaction score
then there's the fellow digging a dump in a nearby town...he's gotten amber & aqua Cokes, a couple of hutches, and some other local sodas, and some medicines/foods,etc.

he brought 2 cases of sodas for me to look at & evaluate.

he also said he'd be back in touch in a couple weeks. He wanted to dig a bit more to see how large the dump was.
If reasonably large, he'd invite me to dig also.

It's been about a month .....and he's "vanished." Hope he didn't bury himself in one of his holes.

whiskeyman

Reaction score
mebbe I oughta rename this my "Whine" thread?[&:]

baltbottles

Reaction score
I can relate too you guys on this subject i get who knows how many e-mails asking about commen and repro bottles and i also get at least 8-10 phone calles every month. So far only a few have ever panned out and i ended up with a nice bottle.

Chris

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora