Double Eagle / E.C. Booz / Scroll Quarts

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mayhem

Reaction score
Here are some top shelf Quarts. A green Pittsburgh Double Eagle. An authentic square roof E.C. Booz cabin whiskey and a light green Scroll flask with iron pontil. The bottom row are some interesting pints. The rare yellow amber un-embossed flask in the center is simply beautiful in her shape, feel and color. With heavy pebbly glass, a perfect lip and open pontil she is one of my favorites. If you like Louisville Glasshouse... still more to come. Mayhem

Attachments

• Quarts Misc A.JPG
    Quarts Misc A.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 375
  • Quarts Misc B.JPG
    Quarts Misc B.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 375
  • Quarts Misc C.JPG
    Quarts Misc C.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 387
  • Quarts Misc D.JPG
    Quarts Misc D.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 406
  • Quarts Misc E.JPG
    Quarts Misc E.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 399
  • Quarts Misc F.JPG
    Quarts Misc F.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 397
  • Quarts Misc G.JPG
    Quarts Misc G.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 388

sandchip

Reaction score
All killers. Great color and unusual lip treatment on the scroll. Goooood stuff.

Flasks

Reaction score
Here are some top shelf Quarts. A green Pittsburgh Double Eagle. An authentic square roof E.C. Booz cabin whiskey and a light green Scroll flask with iron pontil. The bottom row are some interesting pints. The rare yellow amber un-embossed flask in the center is simply beautiful in her shape, feel and color. With heavy pebbly glass, a perfect lip and open pontil she is one of my favorites. If you like Louisville Glasshouse... still more to come. Mayhem
Great grouping of bottles but I'm wondering how many of those you labored to extract from the ground. Here's a picture of just one of many historical flasks, bitters, inks, mineral waters and sodas and medicinals I've dug. Never bought a bottle in my life, did a little trading when I had duplicates. After reaching the ripe old age my wife and I are now, we sold the entire collection for one $$$$ and with that, bought a winter home in Florida. Attached is a picture of me taking a "fresh" one out of a site.

Attachments

• IMG_0550 (2).JPG
    IMG_0550 (2).JPG
    795.5 KB · Views: 398

yacorie

Reaction score
Great bottles. Thanks for sharing - I’ve really been enjoying your pictures of your collection

yacorie

Reaction score
Great grouping of bottles but I'm wondering how many of those you labored to extract from the ground. Here's a picture of just one of many historical flasks, bitters, inks, mineral waters and sodas and medicinals I've dug. Never bought a bottle in my life, did a little trading when I had duplicates. After reaching the ripe old age my wife and I are now, we sold the entire collection for one $$$$ and with that, bought a winter home in Florida. Attached is a picture of me taking a "fresh" one out of a site.

you were lucky to be alive during the peak of the hobby and before all the best spots were dug. those of us younger folks no longer have the ability to dig some of these areas producing those bottles.

here in CT there are some areas that decades ago were producing historical flasks and super rare bottles for all the people who were digging there. One spot is riverside park in east hartford but those areas are lost forever to others now.

most of us will never have the opportunity to dig historical flasks and similar bottles so we either buy them or we look at pictures.

Flasks

Reaction score
you were lucky to be alive during the peak of the hobby and before all the best spots were dug. those of us younger folks no longer have the ability to dig some of these areas producing those bottles.

here in CT there are some areas that decades ago were producing historical flasks and super rare bottles for all the people who were digging there. One spot is riverside park in east hartford but those areas are lost forever to others now.

most of us will never have the opportunity to dig historical flasks and similar bottles so we either buy them or we look at pictures.
I partially agree with you but not living in CT I'd be a poor judge of the possibility of finding valuable and historical bottles, flasks, etc. I will say that hundreds of fine specimens are still waiting to be removed from their resting place. How much research how you done as to the location of past citizens homes through the public available tax rolls and tax maps? None?...strike 3, you're out. If you'd already done this and marked their location, that is where I'd start. Next I'd drive and or walk the area of that long gone home and if the evidence of past occupation is there, that indeed a home or structure was there, then the hunt is on. Try to figure out the "layout" of the home, determine where the privy might have set, always out the back door and downwind. Did the house have a basement or half basement? You have to be relentless in your search and be a cut above the typical novice obvious dump digger. I'm sure, as your mentioned, many super digging sites have been ravaged with lots of great pieces found but my guess and gut feeling tells me there are this many and more just waiting for the dedicated bottle digger. When a fellow digger shows me a great bottle he has dug...I'm fascinated but if he bought it has much less meaning.

Mayhem

Reaction score
Dear Flasks,
1) I live in southern California. Nothing except the local Mission is older than 100 years here. 2) Like another member suggested I am relatively new to the hobby and missed the golden age of digging / trading, and 3) because of California's riches I have the money to buy what I want! So, Flasks, thanks for all the hard work. You dig'em and I'll just sit back and enjoy them poolside.
Mayhem

Flasks

Reaction score
Dear Flasks,
1) I live in southern California. Nothing except the local Mission is older than 100 years here. 2) Like another member suggested I am relatively new to the hobby and missed the golden age of digging / trading, and 3) because of California's riches I have the money to buy what I want! So, Flasks, thanks for all the hard work. You dig'em and I'll just sit back and enjoy them poolside.
Mayhem
Digging and finding has great rewards, I also could hit the shows and buy but then the interest in the piece drops so I don't bother going. I keep hearing about all the wealth in CA, if this is the case why don't you where-with-all people band together and help with your "street people" problem or are you leaving that up to Polosi. Want to talk about great pieces...this is one year of my metal detecting on the beach 3 miles South of Ft. Pierce before the highrises and concrete replaced the land. Those are 23K 1714 gold escudos, half were 8's and the others 4s. In size and weight an 8 is equal to our silver dollar and the 4 was the same as our silver quarter. I found several little pieces of jewelry but they are not in that pictures. The silver reales are mostly 8s and had to be cleaned...the gold picked out of the sand was mint.

Attachments

• Doubloons.jpg
    Doubloons.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 364

yacorie

Reaction score
I partially agree with you but not living in CT I'd be a poor judge of the possibility of finding valuable and historical bottles, flasks, etc. I will say that hundreds of fine specimens are still waiting to be removed from their resting place. How much research how you done as to the location of past citizens homes through the public available tax rolls and tax maps? None?...strike 3, you're out. If you'd already done this and marked their location, that is where I'd start. Next I'd drive and or walk the area of that long gone home and if the evidence of past occupation is there, that indeed a home or structure was there, then the hunt is on. Try to figure out the "layout" of the home, determine where the privy might have set, always out the back door and downwind. Did the house have a basement or half basement? You have to be relentless in your search and be a cut above the typical novice obvious dump digger. I'm sure, as your mentioned, many super digging sites have been ravaged with lots of great pieces found but my guess and gut feeling tells me there are this many and more just waiting for the dedicated bottle digger. When a fellow digger shows me a great bottle he has dug...I'm fascinated but if he bought it has much less meaning.

mall of the above. In addition, we have tools now that were around before (lidar) so we can easily pinpoint the locations of cellar Holes in thr middle of nowhere.

we use old maps, online resources and books from thr various towns that give information that you’re talking about.

sure - there are bottles out there. probing for privies issomething we try to do and get permissions.

it’s a much harder thing to do to find the old bottles like people did decades ago. Yes, people still find them and yes they will continue to be found.....but they were much easier to find years ago. Most of the old time diggers you this waywill tell you the same

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado