Downeast Digger back in town

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
Long time since I posted here, so not sure if there are old friends still lurking. I hope you are all well, and have been finding things digging or at shows, or wherever. I've started my own blog "TheDowneastDigger", where I am going to post all of my digging and diving finds, and mix in my best finds from over the years. I'm also going to have a linked web site, which will have "tips and secrets from 40 years of digging antique bottles". This will be all types of digging and diving, but will emphasize what I do most, which is digging in the Northeast US.
I found a cool little privy in Salsbury Mass a couple of weeks ago. I'm going to try to attach a video of the point where I first found the privy, as well as some pics. Not sure if I'll be able to do it.
. I have discovered that the odds of finding a bottle filled privy here in New England, is significantly lower than in most other parts of the country. This is for a variety of reasons I won’t get in to here.
But in this particular case, I was in luck, as I passed this construction site daily, as they knocked down and cleared the trees, which exposed a total of 3 building foundations. I went back one evening last week, and probed the property for about an hour, with no luck . Then a probed a random “stab”, up next to what looked like the trunk of a 200 year old looking tree. Sure enough it felt like a shallow privy, so I cut a hole into the top of it, and reached down into the hole with my gloved hand, and could feel a couple of bottles in place. The very first thing I pulled out was the bottom have of an open pontil Browns Tomato and Sarsapparilla Bitters!
The total size of the privy was about 3’ x 4’ by 3’ deep. On side was brick lined, so I’m guessing the other 3 were wood that had rotted away. Although the privy was a huge tease, it was very fun to dig. It was pontil age, and I got 4 whole pontils, but there were some other large whole bottles in the same layer, which felt like they were going to be show stoppers, until I pulled them out to find they were unembossed whiskeys and wines, as well as an embossed “Dr Cummings Vegetine” which sure felt like a quart lettered flask before I got it out of the hole .
Only one embossed pontil, a “Dr. Tobias Venetian Liniment”, and 3 other unembossed pontils.

Attachments

• Sals Priv 2.jpg
    Sals Priv 2.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 178
  • Sals priv 3.jpg
    Sals priv 3.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 152
  • Sals priv.jpg
    Sals priv.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 154
  • Sals privy 5.jpg
    Sals privy 5.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 163
  • Sals privy 7.jpg
    Sals privy 7.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 168

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
Nice dig! Funny you mention the Browns, a friend and I dug all the shards of one once, but at the bottom of our hole we hit 1940s beer bottles! It was in a cellar hole that was filled in.

Lordbud

Reaction score
Glad you got the bottles out before the new whatever was built on the site. Sad to see forest ripped out and land downgraded into "development"...

coldwater diver

Reaction score
Hi Bram! Nice finds, last time I ever went digging was with you and I had a lovely case of poison ivy to show for it
. Glad to see you back. Kevin

CreekWalker

Reaction score
That's good stuff there! Come back soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harmonica

Reaction score
Hey Downeastdigger, I am a new guy since you were on last. Are you going to the city wide yard sale in Presque Isle? I will be there looking for Moxie bottles.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDuncum