Dr. Sunny Beverages - Grand’mere QC

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

mctaggart67

Reaction score
The idea that consumer products labels are not misleading came out of that era. To be sure, reform forces re. patent medicines, etc. were active across the Western World in the late 1800s and early 1900s. In Canada, it was an uneasy alliance of physicians and pharmacists (particularly through the Ontario College of Pharmacy). The alliance was uneasy for reasons of professional rivalry, but both groups had common ground in fighting together.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
We still have Dr. Browns, Dr. Wells and Dr.pepper in the states.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
The idea that consumer products labels are not misleading came out of that era. To be sure, reform forces re. patent medicines, etc. were active across the Western World in the late 1800s and early 1900s. In Canada, it was an uneasy alliance of physicians and pharmacists (particularly through the Ontario College of Pharmacy). The alliance was uneasy for reasons of professional rivalry, but both groups had common ground in fighting together.
Really interesting history i definitely need to research more. Thanks for the informative response.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Donas12

Reaction score
Great info! Thanks.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
We've got Dr. Pepper here too so I don't know if labelling regulations had anything to do with revoking Mr. Sunny's medical license. My guess was that it was because Dr. Pepper was threatening to sue them if they didn't change the name.

mctaggart67

Reaction score
We've got Dr. Pepper here too so I don't know if labelling regulations had anything to do with revoking Mr. Sunny's medical license. My guess was that it was because Dr. Pepper was threatening to sue them if they didn't change the name.

Good point, but I imagine there was some sort of exception. When was Dr. Pepper first distributed in Canada?

mctaggart67

Reaction score
Just double checked that legal principle and it only applies to products which are medical or nutritional in nature. I mistakenly thought it applied to foods and beverages, too.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Good point, but I imagine there was some sort of exception. When was Dr. Pepper first distributed in Canada?
That's a good question, I'm not sure. I don't remember ever seeing a particularly old Canadian Dr. Pepper bottle, I know we had the 10-2-4 ACLs in the 60s or so but not sure if we had it before that. Never seen a Canadian embossed Dr. Pepper. I'd be curious to know if its entry into the Canadian market coincided with Dr. Sunny changing its name.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi