Druggist History Request For the Druggist Buffs

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Poison_Us

Reaction score
I had the honor the other day by being contacted by a descendent of the Shuptrine family, the oldest and most recognized Druggist in Savannah. He has a few bottles left from his family's estate. Neither of which, looks like the bottle we are after. In fact, I have never seen this one before. They are both the same. Time wise, this is from James Thaddeus Shuptrine, the 2nd oldest Druggist in this town. But the question is, how long did JT have this mold produced? What would be the timeline? As I read the excerpt of the book I have linked on our want page for the bottle we are looking for, his business started in 1877 and continued into the 1900s. But I do not know of what kind of bottles were produced over the years. These are the 2nd design that I have seen.

I know, a real tell will be an image of the base. Will have to request that. But here are both bottles. Maybe you recognize them and could give a little background history of them, if you are so knowing.

JTS1.jpg

JTS2.jpg

Any help on dating and valuing these would be appreciated (To him, they are priceless, I'm sure)

Thanks in advance.

druggistnut

Reaction score
Stephen,
This will direct you to one of the best places to go for an intimate, but easily read, explanation that you are looking for. Pictures are included and the man does a thorough job.

Scroll down to DRUGGIST/PRESCRIPTION BOTTLE STYLES

http://www.sha.org/bottle/medicinal.htm

Good luck and if that doesn't answer your questions, let us know.
Bill

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky