EARLIEST "CROWN TOP" SODA BOTTLES 1892 - 1900

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. ~

T D

As to your comment/question ...

"There is an Oscar Fluker HUTCH dated 1894, and an extremely rare HUTCH dated 1901. Why this 1894 crown?"

The answer could be as simple as the possibility that one or more of the grocers/stores that Fluker distributed to (providing he was a distributor) preferred Hutch's over Crown's. I have seen accounts claiming Hutch's were being produced and distributed as late as 1915 - 1920, which seems totally weird considering that almost everyone had switched to Crown's by that time.

Bob

275F0781B32844BC8DE704FFA244B37F.jpg

Attachments

• 275F0781B32844BC8DE704FFA244B37F.jpg
    275F0781B32844BC8DE704FFA244B37F.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 113

T D

Reaction score
T D

If you are sticking to your guns and continue to believe what you said above, I will accept and honor that. But, on the other hand, if you ever change your mind, it might interest you to know that its highly possible your 1894 Oscar Fluker bottle is the earliest Crown closure soda bottle currently known and one for the record books.

If congratulations are in order, you have mine wholeheartedly.

Bob

You are going WAY OFF task here, because you so very much WANT an earlier crown top bottle. The part of the story that you don't know is, this bottle was dug in a dump that is almost exclusively crown top sodas. Out of the thousands of bottles dug in this dump, there was ONE hutch found (believe it or not, it was a Fluker hutch). Most are straight sided bottles with part of the dump being 1915 Cokes. We can date this dump to as early as 1900, but there has been virtually NOTHING any earlier than crown tops- no hutches, no blobs, no medicines that appear to be any older, nothing. We can date the Cokes and the Chero Colas from the written record in the newspaper and these Flukers (several including shards) were right in with the other straight side Cokes and bottling works bottles. It is my opinion, and I feel sure of the others that have dug there, that there are mostly post 1910 bottles with very few 1900- 1910 bottles in this dump. Therefore, I feel like the hutch was the first Fluker bottle put out near 1894 (or could it be 1894 was when the company started? Not even necessarily the "drink part of the business") and when crown tops became more available, the owners either liked the fact that his company and birth date was on the bottle or maybe even they used the same slug mold to save money. I doubt a tiny town like Union Point used two different bottles because of some customer preference.

Sure fire fact: Date a bottle from where it was found in the dump.

T D

Reaction score
Yes, I have seen some late throws, but there have been way too may hours spent reading this dump. That hutch may have been a late throw, but not the crowns. Them puppies were all thrown out together.

And there is Rick and all the REAL diggers sitting up there saying, "CROWN TOPS? CROWN TOPS? Who gives a flyin' rat'sazz about CROWN TOPS![sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Don't worry about the REAL diggers, they're gonna pay for it through the thing when they realize tooled crowns and tooled blobs came from the same mold lots of times.. they'll be goin back lookin at a brand new McMansion where their dump used to be, think of all what was left in there..

celerycola

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: T D

T D

If you are sticking to your guns and continue to believe what you said above, I will accept and honor that. But, on the other hand, if you ever change your mind, it might interest you to know that its highly possible your 1894 Oscar Fluker bottle is the earliest Crown closure soda bottle currently known and one for the record books.

If congratulations are in order, you have mine wholeheartedly.

Bob

You are going WAY OFF task here, because you so very much WANT an earlier crown top bottle. The part of the story that you don't know is, this bottle was dug in a dump that is almost exclusively crown top sodas. Out of the thousands of bottles dug in this dump, there was ONE hutch found (believe it or not, it was a Fluker hutch). Most are straight sided bottles with part of the dump being 1915 Cokes. We can date this dump to as early as 1900, but there has been virtually NOTHING any earlier than crown tops- no hutches, no blobs, no medicines that appear to be any older, nothing. We can date the Cokes and the Chero Colas from the written record in the newspaper and these Flukers (several including shards) were right in with the other straight side Cokes and bottling works bottles. It is my opinion, and I feel sure of the others that have dug there, that there are mostly post 1910 bottles with very few 1900- 1910 bottles in this dump. Therefore, I feel like the hutch was the first Fluker bottle put out near 1894 (or could it be 1894 was when the company started? Not even necessarily the "drink part of the business") and when crown tops became more available, the owners either liked the fact that his company and birth date was on the bottle or maybe even they used the same slug mold to save money. I doubt a tiny town like Union Point used two different bottles because of some customer preference.

Sure fire fact: Date a bottle from where it was found in the dump.
+1

hemihampton

Reaction score
Wouldn't the hutch be a early throw instead of late throw?

T D

Reaction score
Since my day started at 4 this morning, at the point I'm not sure anymore...

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi