EARLIEST "CROWN TOP" SODA BOTTLES 1892 - 1900

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
Speaking of F.H. Finley & Son bottles, I just bought this one on eBay. I'm not sure what to make of the 1894-1902 that's embossed on it, but it might have something to do with the address - although it is not the address itself, but year dates. Similar bottles are shown on the link I posted.

Check it out ...

F H Finley & Son Bottle eBay June 8, 2020.jpg

treeguyfred

Reaction score
Wow.....! I just got done, I think catching up on ten years of info and debate on this thread.... I'm going to try to digest and ruminate and seek out my bottles with early crowns. I do have (close at hand) an E&J Burke Guiness Extra Stout with a gloppy hand applied crown top but... again we know that UK bottles tended to be made in old fashioned methods much later than new world manufacturing.
Intriguing thread,
~Fred

SODABOB

Reaction score
P.S.

I just checked the eBay link and it shows the bottle sold for $19.99 - which is incorrect because I made them an offer of $10.10, which they accepted. I never noticed before, but I guess eBay doesn't show offered prices. The reason I offered $10.10 was so the total, including $14.90 for shipping, would come to $25.00. Of course, I forgot taxes, so the final-final total was $25.78. I don't sell on eBay, so I'm not sure how everything works, but I was surprised when they accepted my offer exactly ONE minute after I made the offer. They were either Online at that very moment, or else there is some type of automatic program that involves offers. ???

SODABOB

Reaction score
treeguyfred

Thanks for the information. If you haven't already seen it, this link will take you directly to the "Finishes & Closures" section of the sha.org website. Just scroll down to the "Crown" section - which also has some information about European bottles. I am a current member of the Bottle Research Group (BRG) that contributes to the website on a regular basis. If you click your way to the ACL section in the Bottle Glossary, you will find a link to the ACL article I mentioned earlier. Bill Lockhart and I just finished an interesting soda bottle related article that will appear in the ACL section sometime this summer. I will share a link to it once its ready for viewing.

https://sha.org/bottle/finishstyles2.htm

Hamco

Reaction score
Great information here sodapopbob! very interesting.

hemihampton

Reaction score
In the Auction Description, Seller said likely dates to around 1905. I've never considered dates on some bottles or Cans as totally accurate, They didn't change the date on mold every year & ran that date for years, just like they do with coins & currency, ect., ect., LEON.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado