EARLIEST "CROWN TOP" SODA BOTTLES 1892 - 1900

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
And here is the earliest confirmed date I can find for Willms Bros. bottling - which is from a 1911 Milwaukee city directory ...

Willms Jacob and John 1911 Milwaukee, Wisconsin Directory Bottlers.jpg

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Thanks, Bruce

As you probably know, some bottlers used Hutchinson bottles well into the 1920s. So it isn't surprising that the Willms brothers were possibly one of those bottlers. But what is surprising are their blob-top bottles. Its hard to imagine they used that type of bottle in the 1910s and 1920s - although I suppose its possible. By the way, does the finish (lip) on your Willms bottle appear to have been applied after it was originally made? And is it hand-blown or machine made?

Check this one out - which is embossed with "Weiss Beer" and has what appears to be a "groove" between the neck and finish. I found two of these, but don't have an explanation for either of them.

Willms Bros. Weiss Beer Bottle.jpg

shotdwn

Reaction score
From the looks of weiss beer bottle picture with a groove like that under the top you would think the whole top of the bottle would snap off when you were trying to remove the cap.

SODABOB

Reaction score
BrentC

Thanks for sharing your "Non Corkable" bottle. I'm still researching it, but haven't found anything specific yet. I have only been able to find one other example of it. I suspect they are extremely rare. In David Graci's book "Soda and Beer Bottle Closures 1850-1910" the maker is listed as "Unknown." If we can find a patent for it, that will give us some dates to work with, as well as some other helpful information. Do you happen to know if it is hand-blown or machine made?

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
shotdwn

I agree - weird - I'm still looking for others like it, and hopefully some answers as to when it was made and why it has a groove. The only explanation I can think of at the moment is that the groove was for a wire attached to a cork. ???

SODABOB

Reaction score
BrentC

According to this news article, the Sterilized Beer Bottling Co. (Carbondale, Pa.) was established in 1904. Which suggest that your "Non Corkable" bottle was made in 1904 or later. I'm also attaching an article from 1905 that provides some names for future research. They also used a Hutch bottle - although those were typically used for soda and not beer. Your bottle appears to be hand-blown - which was still being done in 1904-05

Sterilized Beer Bottling Co. Charter_The_Carbondale_Leader_Penn_Fri__Feb_12__1904.jpg

Sterilized Bottling Co._The_Carbondale_Leader_Penn_Wed__Sep_20__1905.jpg

Sterilized Bottling Hutch Carbondale, Pa..jpg

BrentC

Reaction score
BrentC

According to this news article, the Sterilized Beer Bottling Co. (Carbondale, Pa.) was established in 1904. Which suggest that your "Non Corkable" bottle was made in 1904 or later. I'm also attaching an article from 1905 that provides some names for future research. They also used a Hutch bottle - although those were typically used for soda and not beer. Your bottle appears to be hand-blown - which was still being done in 1904-05

View attachment 212625

View attachment 212626

View attachment 212627

Thank you for the information. This gives me a great starting point for further research.

Brent

SODABOB

Reaction score
Brent

I did a little research on your Martin Gerchman bottle from Forest City, Pennsylvania, and the earliest date I can find for the company is 1907. The information I found is a little confusing, but the company apparently had some connection with the Krantz Brewery and the Zeller Bottling Works - both of which were located in the Forest City area. If I find anything more specific, I will let you know.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Here's another one of those weird Willms Bros. bottles - but still no explanation about the groove. Unlike the bottle I posted earlier that was straight-sided, this one has a hex shaped base. It was described as being ABM (Automatic Bottling Machine) and having an "elongated" Crown

Willms Bottle Described ABM and Elongated Crown.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi