EARLIEST "CROWN TOP" SODA BOTTLES 1892 - 1900

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
The search continues ...

King's Crown Cork Bottle_Hartford_Courant_Connecticut_Wed__Jul_12__1893 (Cropped).jpg

King's Beer Paper Label Crown Bottle.jpg

King's Beer Paper Label Crown Bottle Cropped.jpg

King's Beer Paper Label Crown Bottle (Cropped).jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
In search of ...

( Enlarged )

King's Beer Paper Label Crown Bottle Enlarged.jpg

Last edited:

greendirt330

Reaction score
Wonder where the Artesian Manufacturing & Bottling Co. Dr. Pepper King of Beverages Waco Texas bottle would fall in this timeframe ?

SODABOB

Reaction score
greendirt330

Based on what I know about Dr. Pepper, the Artesian Manufacturing & Bottling Company was established in 1891. Their first bottles were Hutchinson's. I don't know when their first Crown-top bottle was introduced, other than it would have been after 1891. The tricky part is accurately dating them. Even though this particular Hutch has a makers mark on the heel, its hard to say exactly when it was made. It was made by the Illinois Glass Company and has their I. G. Co. mark - which was used between 1880 and 1915. So, even if an Artesian Crown-top bottle has this same mark, it would be difficult to accurately date. However, there is a possibility that pre-1900, and possibly even 1892 to 1894 Artesian Crown-top bottles exist, but properly dating them is the challenge. I will take a look around and see what else I can find.

Thanks for what I consider a great question.

Bob

Artesian Hutch I.G. Co..jpg

Artesian Hutch I.G. Co. Mark.jpg

Illinois Glass Company Mark.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
This may or may not help in dating certain Crown-top bottles - but thought I would post it anyway. I have already found a lot of their bottles - the majority of which are Blob-tops - but there are also some Crown-tops that I am still researching. Sometimes you have to research the brewers and/or bottlers themselves to determine the years they were in operation, and then correlate the bottles they used, who made them, and when - which can be as complicated as it sounds. If interested, please join the search and see what we can find. The EHE marks I have seen are usually on the heel of the bottle, but also can be found on the base.

Everett Glass Works/Co. ~ Everett, Pennsylvania ~ c 1885 to c 1904 ~ EHE Mark ~ Edward H. Everett

These two articles are the earliest I have been able to find for the Everett Glass Co. that mentions Crown Cork bottles - and still looking for earlier ones. Notice the Crown Cork & Seal Co. connection - and trying to determine when it was first established. If nothing else, these articles are the earliest I am aware of that focus on a particular bottle manufacturer who made Crown-top bottles.

Crown Cork Everett Glass Works_Everett_Press_Everret Penn_Fri__Jul_17__1896_.jpg

Crown Cork Everett Glass Co._Everett_Press_Penn_Fri__Dec_24__1897_.jpg

Sha.org

Crown Cork Everett Glass Company Everett Pensylvania sha.org.jpg

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
This list includes some of the Crown-top bottles I found that have the EHE mark. As time allows, I will research each of these brands and see if I can determine what years they were in operation. If one or more of them ceased operation prior to 1900, that should help narrow down when a particular bottle was made. The majority of these bottles are amber beer bottles, with only one of them being aqua colored. The only one I know for certain that is a soda bottle is the amber Coca Cola. I'm also attaching two examples of the EHE CO mark. If you don't hear from me before the year ends, then you will know that I struck out.

Coca Cola - Pulaski, Virginia - Base script - Amber Soda
Bavarian Brewing Co. - Covington, Kentucky - Amber Beer
Orange County Brewery - Middleton, New York - Amber Beer
Jung Brewing Co. - Cincinnati, Ohio - Amber Beer
Weideman Brewing - Newport, Kentucky - Amber Beer
G. W. Meredith - East Liverpool, Ohio - Amber Beer
South Chicago Brewery - Amber Beer
J. C. Schemm - Saginaw, Michigan - Amber Beer
Robert Portner Brewing Co. - Alexandria, Pennsylvania - Amber Beer
Roseneck Brewing Co. - Richmond, Virginia - Aqua Beer

Crown Cork Everett Glass Company Mark.jpg

Crown Cork Everett Glass Company Mark Base.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
Thanks, Brent

Yes, I did find one - but didn't post it because it wasn't embossed with a brand or bottler's name. But it is embossed on the rounded base with EHE CO. Does yours have this mark? And do you know who used these bottles?

Crown Cork Everett Glass Company Torpedo Bottle.jpg

Crown Cork Everett Glass Company Mark Torpedo Bottle.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky