Early Abandoned House with antiques inside!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

East_Tn_Bottle_Guy

Reaction score
Since the subject of private property was brought up, I was wondering to what extent should permission be required. I found a dump right next to someone's driveway just on their side of the property line. Again it's clearly visible from the driveway, so should I ask them beforehand or flag them down if they drive by? Thanks

PlaneDiggerCam

Reaction score
Southeastern CT, U.S.A. Also in Adams & York Co,
Since the subject of private property was brought up, I was wondering to what extent should permission be required. I found a dump right next to someone's driveway just on their side of the property line. Again it's clearly visible from the driveway, so should I ask them beforehand or flag them down if they drive by? Thanks
I'd ask permission beforehand. Especially if it is really visible. Is it on that person's property? If not and you have permission to be at that spot, just give neighbors a heads up so they don't get frightened if they see you. I wouldn't dig it if you don't have permission to be in that spot and it's not town or state lands that you can be on.

Last edited:

diktheduk

Reaction score
Like I said before, this particular home, in particular, was owned by the state who took it a long time ago for a highway that never happened, and therefore since it was not marked, I can access it. The state doesn't care about the contents of the house or even the house itself, just the property. Plus I wasn't the only one who had taken stuff by the looks of it when I got there. I rescued valuable local historical things like that hand fan and those tickets from decay. More or less, I just took many pics and didn't take much, although I could have since I would be allowed to. As I said, I always make sure it is non-marked state or town land where I can access and find stuff. If it is not I will either try to get permission or not access it. Trespassing isn't applicable when it is not marked public land and I pay the taxes for it.
If you paid the property taxes then the odds would be you owned the property in question. If you are refering to paying some other form of state taxes, then no there is no way you can justify and claim that it is yours. If someone was there before and took something that did not belong to them, then that did not make it right, legal or ethical. When I was a child trying to explain to mamma that someone else did it first, it did not make it right and I was punished for it, rightfully so. Nor is it now right in your case either.

PlaneDiggerCam

Reaction score
If you paid the property taxes then the odds would be you owned the property in question. If you are refering to paying some other form of state taxes, then no there is no way you can justify and claim that it is yours. If someone was there before and took something that did not belong to them, then that did not make it right, legal or ethical. When I was a child trying to explain to mamma that someone else did it first, it did not make it right and I was punished for it, rightfully so. Nor is it now right in your case either.
Wow. But seriously, if I ever do get in trouble for being on public lands, which I won't, I'll let you guys know. What I meant is that I pay the state taxes which they use to hold their land for the public including the dilapidated homes including this one. I appreciate the concern from everybody, but I know what places ok to search and isn't, and when to get permission so I'd appreciate we stop telling me things I already know. This isn't directed at you specifically, rather everybody who is telling me this over and over. There is a thing called GIS in most towns which can be used to find what property is what. Sme people get very angry about this subject, but if you know what you are doing, take the uttermost caution and invest in research, you will be fine.

From what I have seen in my state, you can be trespassed for any sign marked private, town state property (obviously) or property owned by someone even if not marked. So basically, this is why I always check GIS before I go to a spot since I want to make sure I'm not Tressepassing.

Last edited:

jwpevahouse

Reaction score
Wow. But seriously, if I ever do get in trouble for being on public lands, which I won't, I'll let you guys know. What I meant is that I pay the state taxes which they use to hold their land for the public including the dilapidated homes including this one. I appreciate the concern from everybody, but I know what places ok to search and isn't, and when to get permission so I'd appreciate we stop telling me things I already know. This isn't directed at you specifically, rather everybody who is telling me this over and over. There is a thing called GIS in most towns which can be used to find what property is what. Sme people get very angry about this subject, but if you know what you are doing, take the uttermost caution and invest in research, you will be fine.

From what I have seen in my state, you can be trespassed for any sign marked private, town state property (obviously) or property owned by someone even if not marked. So basically, this is why I always check GIS before I go to a spot since I want to make sure I'm not Tressepassing.
Time well tell. As the old saying goes "A bad idea will always in time prove to be a bad idea."

East_Tn_Bottle_Guy

Reaction score
I'd ask permission beforehand. Especially if it is really visible. Is it on that person's property? If not and you have permission to be at that spot, just give neighbors a heads up so they don't get frightened if they see you. I wouldn't dig it if you don't have permission to be in that spot and it's not town or state lands that you can be on.
Yes, it is on their property, but by no more than 10 ft. I would not dig anyway just for (1) respect and (2) to keep the driveway from eroding even though I don't think it will.

PlaneDiggerCam

Reaction score
Yes, it is on their property, but by no more than 10 ft. I would not dig anyway just for (1) respect and (2) to keep the driveway from eroding even though I don't think it will.
You can ask permission. Offer to maybe clean the area up and they might let you dig. If it is close and you do get permission be as neat as possible.

rich

Reaction score
I always am cautious of this. Property wasn't marked so I looked it up and its owned by the the state. Usually our state hasn't had any regulation to digging or searching their properties that aren't explicitly marked not to or have no trespassing signs. This was a house and property taken to highway building in the 70s that never happened and so it has sat vacant ever since.
Ya might wanna contact a local museum to hear what they think of saving some of that neat stuff!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi