Early Abandoned House with antiques inside!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jwpevahouse

Reaction score
When people say "abandoned house" do they mean no one owns the property? Or is it someone's property which isn't being used? If someone owns the property they legally own it's contents as well. What is the legality of going on someone else's property and taking things? If people throw something in the trash anyone interested can legally take a discarded item. however, if they leave something laying around their property it's still theirs and taking it would be stealing.
My brother and I leaned that leason early when we went in an uninhabited old house, took some things and the owner found out later on. We were just naive kids but we had to return things to the rightful owner.

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
When people say "abandoned house" do they mean no one owns the property? Or is it someone's property which isn't being used? If someone owns the property they legally own it's contents as well. What is the legality of going on someone else's property and taking things? If people throw something in the trash anyone interested can legally take a discarded item. however, if they leave something laying around their property it's still theirs and taking it would be stealing.
My brother and I leaned that leason early when we went in an uninhabited old house, took some things and the owner found out later on. We were just naive kids but we had to return things to the rightful owner.
No such thing is there? The condition/upkeep of the house has nothing to do with being abandoned. It will still be on property that is owned by someone or some entity ergo it is still part of the property.

PlaneDiggerCam

Reaction score
Southeastern CT, U.S.A. Also in Adams & York Co,
Luckily, as said before, the state owns and neglects these places to the point that they will tear them down anyway and I am able to find dumps on the surrounding land or old things in these homes before the land is developed. Most of the homes I've been to have already been searched by someone before. I have also gotten permission from landowners if they are not on state-owned lands. If you explore abandoned houses you must do lots of research to make sure they are not in use still and you aren't gonna be accused of theft if caught. This house Is partially condemned, so usually, if parts of the house, including the roof, have collapsed it is a safe bet the house isn't a living space.

PlaneDiggerCam

Reaction score
Southeastern CT, U.S.A. Also in Adams & York Co,
No such thing is there? The condition/upkeep of the house has nothing to do with being abandoned. It will still be on property that is owned by someone or some entity ergo it is still part of the property.
Agreed. However, there is a loop hole in a way that I'm taking advantage of when it comes to state or town properties that the state or town doesn't care about. Usually, these properties are accessible since, at least in my state, town and state lands can be accessed by the public unless otherwise marked or explicitly stated. Therefore any of these abandoned homes or buildings on these lands are able to be explored, especially if they are not marked or off the beaten path. Since this is the case, it is rare to find places that weren't already ransacked like this house. Any marked property or owned property will not be accessed by me unless I have permission.

jwpevahouse

Reaction score
This is an area which not long ago was primarily farms but is being developed for housing and some commericial. Developers buy the old farms and let the farmhouses decay before finally knocking them down. It's obvious they are not concerned about the old structures or their contents. People scavange and vandalize the old houses. It's sad to see beautiful old Victorian homes destroyed. Local land owners here are particular about trespassing and it's not a good idea. I used to roam the fields and woods freely but feel not only uncomfortable but unsafe in this area. I've been shot at twice in my life and it's an awakening experience. Think before wandering on someone else's property. Times and people's attitudes have changed.

buriedtreasuretime

Reaction score
This is an area which not long ago was primarily farms but is being developed for housing and some commericial. Developers buy the old farms and let the farmhouses decay before finally knocking them down. It's obvious they are not concerned about the old structures or their contents. People scavange and vandalize the old houses. It's sad to see beautiful old Victorian homes destroyed. Local land owners here are particular about trespassing and it's not a good idea. I used to roam the fields and woods freely but feel not only uncomfortable but unsafe in this area. I've been shot at twice in my life and it's an awakening experience. Think before wandering on someone else's property. Times and people's attitudes have changed.

Like in the news now, Ahmaud Aubrey, jogging( African American) looks at a house being built, doesn’t touch or take any thing, continues his run and out of nowhere come three guys with guns, they shoot and kill Aubrey, no questions asked, shot him and he dies. Yes times have changed, be very careful out there on property that is not your own. It appears your life may depend on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jc_john1

Reaction score
I didn't even know places like that still existed! I would have thought they had all been cleaned out years ago

NC btl-dvr

Reaction score
Some body probably owns the House or Property. If you check with the City they could probably find out who & then you could get Permission. or else some might call it Tressepassing, B&E and/or Theft. LEON.
I was thinking the same thing Leon. Unless it's now state or county property someone is paying taxes on it....

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky