Early Dr. Pepper bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
Bernie

If it can be determined with absolute certainty that your bottle is in fact a Circle-A bottle from Waco, Texas and related to Dr. Pepper, that would certainly influence the value. Of course, the condition is not that great, but that can't be helped unless you have it tumbled by an expert - which can be risky. Assuming it is a 1890s Circle-A bottle from Waco, in its present condition I would guess its current value at about $75 - maybe more to the right collector who just has to have it. However, I think the first thing you need to do is establish the pedigree, and then go from there. I'll help with that the best I can. But it will likely require more research and/or finding someone who knows for certain about such a bottle - which I don't. That is, unless one of the books in my library has something about it - which I will check the first chance I get.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Could this same bottle have used a DR. Pepper or Artesian label or a Circle A label?

Bernie19

Reaction score
Bernie

If it can be determined with absolute certainty that your bottle is in fact a Circle-A bottle from Waco, Texas and related to Dr. Pepper, that would certainly influence the value. Of course, the condition is not that great, but that can't be helped unless you have it tumbled by an expert - which can be risky. Assuming it is a 1890s Circle-A bottle from Waco, in its present condition I would guess its current value at about $75 - maybe more to the right collector who just has to have it. However, I think the first thing you need to do is establish the pedigree, and then go from there. I'll help with that the best I can. But it will likely require more research and/or finding someone who knows for certain about such a bottle - which I don't. That is, unless one of the books in my library has something about it - which I will check the first chance I get.
Thank you for your perseverance! I'm 2 hours from Waco and the museum, when all is normal (or close to it) a trip to the museum is in order!

SODABOB

Reaction score
hemi - Although I am not certain, I believe the bottle could have used both labels - Dr. Pepper and Circle-A. By the way, in one of my Dr. Pepper books there is an Ad for Circle-A during the Spanish American War and depicts a bottle with a paper label. The Ad also depicts two men in military uniforms. Its easy to date because the Spanish American War took place in 1898. I will scan the Ad tomorrow and post it.

SODABOB

Reaction score
P.S.

Another thing that needs to be determined is if the A stands for "Artesian" or for "Circle-A" - I have seen early Circle-A bottles that are embossed with the actual words "Circle" (Large A) "Brand" - and I believe it also has "Waco, Texas" embossed on the base. There is one currently on eBay - but lousy photos. Check it out ...

CIRCA 1900 CIRCLE A BRAND GINGER ALE BOTTLE WACO TX | eBay

hemihampton

Reaction score
I've had this Ad saved on my computer for awhile. not sure of the year? LEON.
DR.PepperEarlyAdTexas.JPG

SODABOB

Reaction score
Cool Ad

Based on some additional information I have seen it appears that Circle-A Ginger Ale was first produced in Waco in 1884 - which was before Dr. Pepper was invented. Some of the same articles state that the Artesian Manufacturing and Bottling Co. was established in 1891. If Circle-A Ginger Ale was established in 1884, they must have used a Hutchinson bottle, or some type of blob-top bottle. As we know, the Crown-top bottle wasn't invented until 1892. Hence, we know that Bernie's bottle can't be any earlier than 1892 - and hoping for Bernie's sake that its a 1897 to 1900 bottle. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find anything yet that will confirm a date for when the bottle was made.

Bernie19

Reaction score
Cool Ad

Based on some additional information I have seen it appears that Circle-A Ginger Ale was first produced in Waco in 1884 - which was before Dr. Pepper was invented. Some of the same articles state that the Artesian Manufacturing and Bottling Co. was established in 1891. If Circle-A Ginger Ale was established in 1884, they must have used a Hutchinson bottle, or some type of blob-top bottle. As we know, the Crown-top bottle wasn't invented until 1892. Hence, we know that Bernie's bottle can't be any earlier than 1892 - and hoping for Bernie's sake that its a 1897 to 1900 bottle. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find anything yet that will confirm a date for when the bottle was made.
The #5 bottle on the list looked exactly like it. Hard to pin down these crown tops.

SODABOB

Reaction score
I realize this isn't very scientific, and the scale is off, but they sure look alike to me. The word "Registered" seems to be in the same place on both bottles. I will be back later after I scan the Circle-A ad from 1898

Bernie - Is that a horizontal scratch or a seam on the Crown part of your bottle? It might have been caused by a finishing tool? I can't say for certain if the museum bottle also has it, but it would be something to look for if you pay them a visit.

Circle A and Dr Pepper Bottles Dr Pepper Museum Waco Texas Comparison.jpeg

Bernie19

Reaction score
I realize this isn't very scientific, and the scale is off, but they sure look alike to me. The word "Registered" seems to be in the same place on both bottles. I will be back later after I scan the Circle-A ad from 1898

Bernie - Is that a horizontal scratch or a seam on the Crown part of your bottle? It might have been caused by a finishing tool? I can't say for certain if the museum bottle also has it, but it would be something to look for if you pay them a visit.

View attachment 216232
They do look very, very similiar. The horizontal scatches... I dont have the bottle in my possession, and I only have a couple pics of it. Horizontal scratches on the crown and the middle of the bottle. Possibly from factory rollers when they refilled it? Very pronounced on the main body of it and thinner scratches on the crown. I'm attaching one more pic I found of my wife holding it. And it actually does appear the side seam goes all the way through the crown. (Upper right portion of the bottle)

Attachments

• 20201231_113518.jpg
    20201231_113518.jpg
    599.2 KB · Views: 133

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eloc1