Early Dr. Pepper bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
Hmm ... Very interesting. I guess the next question is whether the seam goes all the way up and over the lip?

1. If over the lip - Almost certainly machine made - circa 1905 or later
2. If not over the lip - But half-way - Weird - I have never seen that feature on a Crown-top bottle ???
3. We also need to determine if the horizontal feature is a scratch or a seam?

Circle A Ginger Ale Bottle Crown Crop.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
Here's the scanned ad from Jeffrey Rodengen's 1995 Dr Pepper / 7-Up book that depicts a Circle-A Ginger Ale paper label during the Spanish-American War in 1898. Its obviously a different bottle - but tells us what type of paper label they used in 1898. Notice the ad came from the Dr Pepper Museum. The label in the ad is similar to the one I posted earlier - except for the Robert S Lazenby signature.

The second attachment is a snippet from the Texas State Historical Association about Circle-A and the Spanish-American War, and can be viewed via this link.

TSHA | Soft-Drink Industry (tshaonline.org)

I found a bunch of bottle caps, but have no idea how to date them.

Have a Five "R" GRRRRREAT New Year's Eve/Day

Bob

Circle-A Ginger Ale Ad 1898 Spanish-American War.jpg

Circle A Ginger Ale 1898 Spanish-American War.jpg

Circle A Ginger Ale Paper Label.jpg

Circle A Ginger Ale Cap CCSI.jpg

Bernie19

Reaction score
Here's the scanned ad from Jeffrey Rodengen's 1995 Dr Pepper / 7-Up book that depicts a Circle-A Ginger Ale paper label during the Spanish-American War in 1898. Its obviously a different bottle - but tells us what type of paper label they used in 1898. Notice the ad came from the Dr Pepper Museum. The label in the ad is similar to the one I posted earlier - except for the Robert S Lazenby signature.

The second attachment is a snippet from the Texas State Historical Association about Circle-A and the Spanish-American War, and can be viewed via this link.

Bob

View attachment 216252

View attachment 216253

View attachment 216254

View attachment 216255

Bob

View attachment 216252

View attachment 216253

View attachment 216254

View attachment 216255
You are certainly a wealth of knowledge, thank you for all that you have done!! The link in extensive and an amazing source of info! Happy New Year. Might be a week or so until I can put my hands on the physical bottle. I'll take detailed pics and DM you.

SODABOB

Reaction score
For Leon:

Other than the ABC on the base is there other embossing on the bottle that identifies it as an Artesian?

For Bernie:

Thanks - Looking forward to the photos - No hurry

Happy New Year to all

Bob

SODABOB

Reaction score
Thanks, Leon

The following is based on some brief research I did ...

1. The Artesian Manufacturing & Bottling Co. was established in Waco, Texas in 1891 - Bottles marked with A. M. & B. C. - Large A on base

2. The Artesia Bottling Company was established in Fort Worth, Texas in 1905 by Robert Lazenby - Large ABC on base

I wonder why it isn't included in the bottle chronology I posted earlier? If the Fort Worth plant was started in 1905, that was around the same time the "Thief" bottle was introduced.

Artesia Bottling Fort Worth Texas circa 1910.png

Artesia Bottle From.jpg

hemihampton

Reaction score
Since Lazenby & his Bottles are related to Dr. Pepper it seems his Bottles should of been included in your Previous list? LEON.

SODABOB

Reaction score
I agree - It should be on the list ...

CHRONOLOGY OF DR PEPPER BOTTLES STARTING IN 1891, TAKEN FROM THE DR PEPPER BOTTLE & PRICE GUIDE BOOK

#1, 1890’s Blob Top, Artesian M.F.G. & Bottling Co, Waco, Texas
#2, 1890’s, Twitchell, Artesian M.F.G. & Bottling Co, Waco, Texas, wide mouth, mid 1890’s
#3, 1890’s Baltimore Loop, Artesian M.F.G. & Bottling Co, Waco, Texas, some folks call this a small mouth Twitchell.
#4, 1897, Crown Top, Artesian M.F.G. & Bottling Co., “Registered” embossed on Shoulder, has A on bottom.
#5, 1897, Crown Top, Pre Thief, only has registered on shoulder, paper label, has “A” on bottom.
#6, 1900-1904 Crown Top, Thief Bottle, Waco , Texas, Only.
#7 1902-1904, Crown Top, Thief Bottle, Waco, Texas, ( has Monterey on heel ) Probably held Monterey Lemonade.
#8 1903-1905, Crown Top, Thief Bottle, Waco and St .Louis. First bottle outside of Waco, Tx.
#9, 1903-1905, Crown Top, Thief Bottle, St. Louis, Mo. American Mineral Water Co. (Dr Pepper in script) First bottle to have Dr Pepper embossed on it.
#10 1903-1906, Crown Top, Thief Bottle, St. Louis, Mo. American Mineral Water. Has an “A” and under the A has 1906 on bottom. ( Extremely Rare ) Only bottle with a date
#11, 1903-1905, Crown Top, Thief Bottle, Kansas City, has Dr. on bottom.
#11A, 1900 Bowling pin bottle, crown top. Artesian M.F.G. Waco, Texas ( Rare )( Circle A )
#11B 1903 Bowling pin bottle, crown top, Artesian M.F.G. St. Louis, Mo.(Rare)( Circle A )
#11C 1903, Crown Top, Return To Artesian Mfg. & Bottling Co. Waco, Texas and St. Louis, Mo. Extremely tall bottle
#12, 1905-1920, Crown Top, “King of Beverage”, Waco, REGISTERED on shoulder
#13, 1905-1920, Crown Top, “King of Beverage”, Dallas, REGISTERED on shoulder, has big “D” on bottom instead of an “A”
#13A 1905-1925 Crown Top, “King of Beverage”, Waco, Marked 8 oz. On base. First bottle not to have REGISTERED on shoulder. Also first bottle to have Stylized style Lettering (Extremely Rare)

Nickneff

Reaction score
Here's a possible contender for the Circle-A paper label - but not certain and still looking

View attachment 216188
That's Nate the only ones that I've seen around here and my parts has been the 10 4 + 2 but they're not that old man's not that one looks older than mine would be for all I know I think it's a really neat piece especially with your description you have on there I think it's cool I like it

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac