Early Machine made (I think) Medicine (I think) bottle with unusual top/ Lip/ seams, Looking for ANY Info

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

PMbottles

Reaction score
This bottle looks like a pretty common medicine/Drug store bottle 5 1/4" tail x just under 2"wide. It has a horizontal seam about 1/4" or so above Base and two vertical light seams starting a bit below horizontal seam but well short off bottom of base. They continue up to the beginning of shoulder area where they seem to end. The vertical seams running up top start at about the same elevation but are both offset by approx. 30 to 30 degrees from from the side seams below. Also these seams(from shoulder through neck)intersect and stop at a horizontal Seam which runs full circle at precise middle or half way point of lip. I'll just attach the pic's now as they will certainty explain better than my rambling description. Any Info Appreciated!!! Thanks, PM

Attachments

• amber bottle Full View .jpg
    amber bottle Full View .jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 94
  • AMber Bttl  SIDE view.JPG
    AMber Bttl SIDE view.JPG
    884.6 KB · Views: 98
  • AMber Bttl  LIP SEAMS 1.JPG
    AMber Bttl LIP SEAMS 1.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 94
  • amber bottle seam itersect at  lip #2.jpg
    amber bottle seam itersect at lip #2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 79
  • AMber Bttl TOP wrinkles.jpg
    AMber Bttl TOP wrinkles.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 91
  • AMber Bttl Bttm irregular.JPG
    AMber Bttl Bttm irregular.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 91

willong

Reaction score
This bottle looks like a pretty common medicine/Drug store bottle 5 1/4" tail x just under 2"wide. It has a horizontal seam about 1/4" or so above Base and two vertical light seams starting a bit below horizontal seam but well short off bottom of base. They continue up to the beginning of shoulder area where they seem to end. The vertical seams running up top start at about the same elevation but are both offset by approx. 30 to 30 degrees from from the side seams below. Also these seams(from shoulder through neck)intersect and stop at a horizontal Seam which runs full circle at precise middle or half way point of lip. I'll just attach the pic's now as they will certainty explain better than my rambling description. Any Info Appreciated!!! Thanks, PM
It is definitely a machine made bottle. (Tip: Always include a view of bottle base when seeking more information about your finds from this site. Photos you submitted were fine, but a base view might have yielded more information for you as some of our members are quite proficient at deciphering manufacturers' codes on machine made bottles.)

The type of bottle is often called a "utility bottle" and might have held a wide range of products that would have been identified by paper label and, likely, a cardboard package containing the bottle. Medicine vendors would have represented a significant portion of firms using such bottles, as would chemical firms selling industrial and household products, extract and flavoring manufacturers' and a panoply of other product producers and sellers. Dark amber bottles are quite commonly, but hardly exclusively, employed for packaging products that are prone to deteriorating more rapidly with exposure to light.

PMbottles

Reaction score
It is definitely a machine made bottle. (Tip: Always include a view of bottle base when seeking more information about your finds from this site. Photos you submitted were fine, but a base view might have yielded more information for you as some of our members are quite proficient at deciphering manufacturers' codes on machine made bottles.)

The type of bottle is often called a "utility bottle" and might have held a wide range of products that would have been identified by paper label and, likely, a cardboard package containing the bottle. Medicine vendors would have represented a significant portion of firms using such bottles, as would chemical firms selling industrial and household products, extract and flavoring manufacturers' and a panoply of other product producers and sellers. Dark amber bottles are quite commonly, but hardly exclusively, employed for packaging products that are prone to deteriorating more rapidly with exposure to light.
Thanks for prompt and Very thorough response. Have pic's of base but didn't post as there are no markings, letters or symbols of any sort. Will include regardless on future postings. Thanks again PM

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I find similar ones by me. I always called them hydrogen peroxide bottles. I guess anything could have come in them. I kept one. Mine is machine made too. 8.5" tall and 2.75" wide 2 embossed on the base. Your looks older.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Attachments

• 20211107_073217.jpg
    20211107_073217.jpg
    901.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 20211107_073250.jpg
    20211107_073250.jpg
    952 KB · Views: 81
  • 20211107_073322.jpg
    20211107_073322.jpg
    751.6 KB · Views: 78

PMbottles

Reaction score
Yes, very similar. Top/lip is a little different and the bottom on mine has no embossing (#2) on yours. Now that I see size maybe not so similar after all mine is much smaller also at 5 1/4" x 2". I've been told they are pretty common so... but a nice old bottle is always good. Happy hunting!

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Yes, very similar. Top/lip is a little different and the bottom on mine has no embossing (#2) on yours. Now that I see size maybe not so similar after all mine is much smaller also at 5 1/4" x 2". I've been told they are pretty common so... but a nice old bottle is always good. Happy hunting!
They are common. I still grabbed it. Lol!
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis