Early sauce bottles, or what?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Here is a pair of early bottles, similar to one another, possibly from the same mold. Both are about seven inches tall. One has a base diameter of 3.25 inches, the other is 3.5 inches. If they were blown in the same mold, it was not on the same day by the same glass-blower, judging by the differences between the two bottles.

Both have pontil scars. I can see no mold seams at all on either bottle. It may be that side seams are masked by the vertical ribbing and by overblowing. On the larger diameter bottle (on the right), the strike of the vertical ribs is not strong which suggests a worn mold. Worn molds produce the most pronounced seams, don't they?

This form would be a good sauce bottle, though I cannot find it illustrated in Zumwalt's book. Is there anyone here who has some knowledge of bottles like these two?

Thank you.
---------Harry Pristis

Ur52026.jpg

Attachments

• Ur52026.jpg
    Ur52026.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 120

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Here are the bases of both bottles. These were difficult to photograph. Note the ribs radiating from the center where the pontil scar is located.

Hf99468.jpg

IRISH

Reaction score
They look like salad oil bottles to me, although any bottles of that style are called salad oil's here.
I've never seen any like those two, being pontiled and all I should think that they are very good bottles.
Nice find.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown