Earlyglass, freeblown but not pontilled....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
I've picked up a couple of these bottles erecently, which I've always thought under rated. They are German/Belgian spa water bottles, thes ebulbous ones from aroud 1750 onwards, always quite crude and swirly, usually with a rouletted crudely applied string rim below a snapped off lip, and not pontilled, or at least very rarely. Just thought they might be interesting to some for some of you guys to see...
P1150733_zps73aa4481.jpg
P1150731_zpsca66800c.jpg
www.earlyglass.com

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
They are crudely and quickly made and sometimes have excellent blue boom or "glassgall" around the necks and further, and really are the original "hamilton" bottle, being not able to standup, so kept the cork moist and swelled tight. Many were encased in osiers. You can see them in Hogarths "Midnight Modern Conversation" famous image, littering the floor andchucked in the corners...www.earlyglass.com

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Hi Mark, how have you been?Looking at the art it doesn't look like the water diluted that punch much. [:D]Anyway, nice glass you got there, like that needs repeating.[:)]

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well Mark, I have a couple of bottles that were blown (free blown) without a pontil mark. I couldn't see the top of your bottle well enough but it looked likle it might have had a string of glass wrapped around it. It also looked as though the top could have been bursted off without a finishing. Or it could have been ground on the top edge. Nice piece of glass anywy. RED M

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado