Ebay scam

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BOTTLEMINER

Reaction score
I thought this was interesting, I sold a whiskey bottle on ebay a couple months ago. The buyer contacted me and said it was cracked and that he wanted his money back.He sent the bottle back to me and when I recieved it it wasnt the bottle I had sold him. HE still wants his money back but I wont refund it untill I get the original bottle.The kicker is that I mark all bottles I sell on the bottom so I wont get ripped off. Buyers and sellers beware!!

Pontiled

Reaction score
Way to go, Bottleminer! That's one way to trip them up! Out of 10,000 people you may meet on eBay's auctions, you may meet 1 that plays games like this, but that 1 can cause lots of problems if you don't protect yourself. I take full photos, including the sides and bottom and usually mark them in a non-conspicuous place.

Oh, welcome to the Forum.

vtspring

Reaction score
thank you for the tip . i am new to ebay and have just started putting bottles and jars up for auction.i will be sure i mark each item i sell.another thought is that every bottle has its own certain charecteristic scratches or bubbles that can be photographed or recorded

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hi Bryan, was that a 'high' price bottle that you sold? I suprised the buyer didn't take a pic of the alleged crack and e-mail you before paying postage to send the bottle back. [8|] I'm just now getting ready to start selling off a lot of surplus bottles, and I appreciate the tip about marking or having some other type of varifiable identification.[:)] I'm also going to be selling some marbles, and if you think bottles are bad......try to prove it's not the marble you sold! DNA?[:D] IFor the marbles I'm going to use a respected consignment site, even though there's a 17% commission to pay, I'll avoid the hassal of someone trying to rip me off. Keep us posted how you make out!

Kim

Reaction score
Hi All
I advertised a ute on EBay, using it for the very first time. I recieved an email asking about a bid on a boat and if I did I had to re-submit my bid. The strange thing is that I didn't even look at a boat and I definately did not bid on one.

There was also a new model metal detector listed for bidding. A person contacted the seller a few times and thought he was going to get a bargain. When the prospective buyer wanted to view the detector the guy backed off. He did not reply to the prospective buyers emails again. Apparently the sellers aim was to get the money in the bank and the detector didn't even exist.

I find it a bit disturbing when we put our details in, I know that a lot of people use it but as a first timer I was a bit set back with the fault of the bidding.

Regards Kim

Maine Digger

Reaction score
I wonder if it may make sense to search out those sites that are devoted to the type of item you want to sell? I find when you join a site such as this, you develop relationships where you can have complete confidence in transactions you may make. I have found the same with other forums dedicated to individual diciplines, whether marbles, photographs, furniture etc. The downside is that you might only have hundreds of potential buyers vs. hundreds of thousands.[&:] I will still list 'commons' on e-bay, (most of what I have anyway[:D]), but intend to offer the more serious items on sites devoted to the genre.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
There was also a new model metal detector listed for bidding. A person contacted the seller a few times and thought he was going to get a bargain. When the prospective buyer wanted to view the detector the guy backed off. He did not reply to the prospective buyers emails again. Apparently the sellers aim was to get the money in the bank and the detector didn't even exist.

I don't understand the problem, Kim. If I were selling something on eBay and a prospective bidder contacted me "a few times," I'd probably stop responding also -- particularly if the prospective bidder wanted to visit with me.

How did you determine that the detector "didn't even exist"??? Is it possible that the seller merely wanted to get on with his auction after deciding he didn't want to deal with the prospective bidder?

You can always check the feedback on that particular eBay auction to find out how it went for the principals.

--------Harry Pristis

Kim

Reaction score
Hi Harry
It was heavily discussed amongst other operators and was found to be a scam. I may not have explained it very well.

Quote from another place "This guy surfaces every few weeks with a new Ebay account with 0 feedback. He requires payment via Western Union (no recourse for the buyer). The auctions last a few days and then Ebay cancels them. Definitely a scam!!"

Apparently he would not give a serial number of the machines etc.. He obtains his photos by scanning them. The Item has been taken off ebay.

I guess it comes down to buyer beware.

Regards Kim

jbernstein

Reaction score
Hi message board I am new on the board as of today it looks like a great place to research and learn some new things. I collect and sell a certain whiskey myself and there are some real scam artists out there as of late. Just a warning becareful when buying any paper seal liquor product on ebay. Please feel free to contact me via email I will get into more details.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora