ebay soda scam.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
I don't know part of the reason I don't really collect paper label bottles , it looks reasonably similar to what one would expect a 7up bottle from that period to look like

bubbas dad

Reaction score
i no very little about 7up history but it looks suspicious to me. the bottle looks like a blob top and the bottom looks like a wine bottle which doesn't jive with the date given. just my 2 cents.

jarsnstuff

Reaction score
I don't collect sodas so I know less than nothing about them. That being said, doesn't this style of bottle take a cork? 1935 seems way late for a soda bottle to be sealed with a cork. Just my 2 cents. Well, maybe 1 cent...

SODABOB

Reaction score
I wouldn't call it a scam because the seller states he is not sure if the label and bottle are original to one another, and that he bought it that way. That is (sort of) a disclaimer that covers him. However, I would call it a case where the seller did not do his homework, and should have. A simple Google search would have told him that the bottle is obviously a LOT older than the label. The Label has (C) 1935 By The Howdy Company - which dates it to 1935 or later. The bottle is what we typically refer to as a Blob-top, and no matter which of the patents it might pertain to, it no doubt dates before the Crown finish patent that was granted to William Painter in 1892. You can take your pick of finishes/closures from the ones on the link, with my best guess being that it is related to the 1885 F. B. Thatcher patent. By 1935, those type of bottle finishes and closures had been outlawed because they were considered unsanitary.

The bottom line for me is ...

1. The bottle is an original Blob type - and dates pre-1900
2. The label appears to be original - and dates 1935 or later
3. The bottle and label are NOT original to one another - someone attached the label to the bottle
4. Value of bottle/label as is = $20 max

http://www.sodasandbeers.com/SABBottleClosuresSoda.htm

7up Bottle with Blob Finish eBay 2020.jpg

Blob Bottle Patent 1885.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
The earliest reference I can find for "Glaser 7-Up" is from 1934 - It appears they registered as Glaser Beverages Inc. in 1936

Glaser 7-Up_Spokane_Chronicle_Spokane Washington_Mon__Dec_31__1934.jpg

Glaser Beverages Inc Seattle Washington 1936.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
Last but not least ...

1. Paper label - eBay bottle
2. Similar paper label - Counterfeit? - Hard to say for certain - Way too white for my liking
3. Bottle cap - Date unknown

Glaser 7-Up Paper Lebel eBay July 2020.jpg

Glaser 7-Up Paper Label (C) 1935 By The Howdy Co..jpg

Glaser 7up Bottle Cap Date Unknown.jpg

hemihampton

Reaction score
Bob, The reason I posted & asked about this bottle is I had a Friend, new to Bottles send me a link to that ebay Auction & he seemed excited about it & thought it was rare. I told him pretty much what you said. it's a fake phony, legite label but on the wrong older bottle. I posted in here hoping he'd see a 2nd opinion & a 3rd & 4th opinion ect., confirming my suspicions. Thanks for the extra info. LEON.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18