ebay soda scam.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
hemi

Thanks

Glad I could be of help -- even though I didn't realize it until now. I'm still experimenting with ways to tell the difference between an original 7-Up paper label and a counterfeit one. The best method I have come up with so far is to examine the label with a magnifying loupe (30X Power or Larger) and see if it has what I call micro-dots. The attached photo is a 7-Up paper label that I believe is original - Notice the dots in the stripes above the 7-Up logo. I would question the originality of any 7-Up paper label that doesn't have those dots - especially if the dots are blurry - which might indicate it was scanned / photocopied

7up Paper Label with Micro Dots.jpg

iggyworf

Reaction score
Just seen this post and agree with everyone. Nice label, wrong bottle. I think I have seen this one before on ebay from that seller.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Hey, Rich

I was just thinking about you and your ROOT 32 7-Up paper label bottle. Could you please measure the label and let us know what you come up with. I only have one original paper label 7-Up bottle and the label measures exactly 3 1/2" wide by 2 3/4" high. However, I don't know if original labels came in various sizes or if they were all the same size. They might have used a small label for smaller bottles, and a larger label for large bottles. Knowing the size of a particular label might help determine if it is original or counterfeit.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Bob, they use a similar method to determine Counterfeit Money. Nowadays they even print words & statement so small on the Paper Money or Bills that the Naked eye can't see. Take your Jewelers loupe & read the small print near outer edge ect., of your newer Bills to see what I mean. A printer can't duplicate this small print. LEON.

iggyworf

Reaction score
Hey, Rich

I was just thinking about you and your ROOT 32 7-Up paper label bottle. Could you please measure the label and let us know what you come up with. I only have one original paper label 7-Up bottle and the label measures exactly 3 1/2" wide by 2 3/4" high. However, I don't know if original labels came in various sizes or if they were all the same size. They might have used a small label for smaller bottles, and a larger label for large bottles. Knowing the size of a particular label might help determine if it is original or counterfeit.

Yes Bob, been studying my bottle intently after reading this post. My 'Root 32 7up' label measures apprx. 3 1/2 wide by 2 1/4 high with many pixelated dots in the bands.

100_3375.JPG

SODABOB

Reaction score
hemi

Thanks - I did as you suggested and looked at some paper currency with a loupe - which revealed a lot of details not visible to the naked eye. I did a little research and it appears the most common term used to describe the printing process that used dots is called HALFTONE PRINTING. Apparently the process was first introduced around 1870.

30 dots per inch .............................. via typing process

Rich

Thanks for the measurements - your label is almost identical in size to mine. Examining paper labels with a loupe could turn out to be a good way to determine if a label is original or a counterfeit. But I can just imagine an eBay seller's reaction if I were to ask them to look at the label with a loupe on a bottle they are selling. They would probably think I was crazy -- or ask "what's a loupe?"

Here are a couple of examples of Halftone Printing - sometimes called Ben Day or Offset Printing

Halftone Color.jpg

Halftone Black & White.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
SIZE?

I'm finding 7-Up paper labels in different sizes -- But are they original or fake?

7up Paper Labels Different Sizes.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
Speaking of original dots ...

7up Bottle Cap Possible First.jpg

Timelypicken

Reaction score
I found this seller who has several paper labels for sale. Was curious if you all think they are real or fake. I was thinking fake, but some are selling for hundreds.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panama Canal digger