Ed Bartlett's Dr. Roback's Stomack Bitters

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Potlidboy

Reaction score
Back to the thrilling days of yesteryear.....

On one of my trips down to Maine Prairie, I noticed a side road named Bartlett Road. Now it wasn't as if the road had just materialized...it had always been there..... but now that I was finding old bottles this dusty gravel road had taken on a new meaning. Why Bartlett Road ?

That evening at family dinner my father told me the story of Ed Bartlett.......

It seems that Ed Bartlett & his wife lived near the inland "port town" of Maine Prairie, California...My dad said that Ed & his wife were a very old couple when he was a kid . They had tried to make a living running sheep on the sparse alkaline fields in the area...They lived from hand to mouth and barely made a go of it. Their cabin-like home was built on stilts so that rising slough water of Winter would not flood them out. They had no electricity and heated the home with firewood & read by kerosene lantern.

The next weekend I drove down towards the town site of Maine Prarie but turned off about a mile short on to Bartlett Road. I parked my car (a 1960 Chev Impala) and climbed the fence... I walked back to a pile of lumber where the Bartlett house used to be. After poking around in the debris and not finding anything, I concentrated my attention on a lane of stunted growth Tamarack trees to the West of the house....They were dry & dusty trying to hang on to life...the very existance that Ed Bartlett & his wife had given up so many years ago.

The lane of tamaracks led back about 100 yards from their collapsed home to a slightly raised area where a barn & corals would have been.... I was real new at probing for bottles but found a place that seemed promising...small bits of china & glass were about here & there.... I noticed an indentation in the landscape near by....I shoved my probe into the ground and felt the familiar crunch of glass....I picked up my shovel & opened up a 3 foot by 3 foot area....This ground was noticibly softer then the surrounding rock hard alkaline soil around it.

The first bottle I found was a small green snuff with a flared lip...the second, a cathedral pickle with brick laying dead center through it. The third bottle was a B J McGee Benicia Soda Bottle (blob top)....The fourth & final bottle came out of the "sidewall" and was at the very bottom of the outhouse.....about 7 feet down.

That bottle is pictured below: a Dr C W Robacks Stomach Bitters Cincinnati.O....the bottle is the earlier one with a graphite pontil & stands 10 inches tall.....I had scored....and scored well. The reverse of the bottle has a real unusual repair....something was going on with the bottle mold.... I like it!

Years later....I have only the Roback's bitters....the other bottles have found other happy homes.

The field where Eddie Bartlett & his wife tried to make a living has been leveled. The farmer has enrichened the soil & plants sugar beets there now.....There is nothing to tell their story....save telling you-all this one......Here's to Eddie & his lovely wife.....Thanks for the memories...Thanks for the good times. Thanks for the Robacks.

F64DF9E371AE4E49BB7F7F16772E17DA.jpg

Attachments

• F64DF9E371AE4E49BB7F7F16772E17DA.jpg
    F64DF9E371AE4E49BB7F7F16772E17DA.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 84

Potlidboy

Reaction score
picture two....[:)]

D11B203B67D54AF6AA36F8F98D0CBF1C.jpg

Attachments

• D11B203B67D54AF6AA36F8F98D0CBF1C.jpg
    D11B203B67D54AF6AA36F8F98D0CBF1C.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 80

LC

Reaction score
Great story Mike , thanks for sharing , great bottle as well . I am quite partial to Cincinnati bottles . I have never dug one of these or had the opportunity to buy one either for that matter .

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Neat bottle and cool story. I think it might have Red's now infamous half leaf mold marking. (It features small thin ridges in that weird spot).

TJSJHART

Reaction score
GREAT BOTTLE NICE VERY NICE......AND THE STORY,,,,I CAN UNDERSTAND WHY YOU KEPT THE BOTTLE .

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp