end of the line for Tab

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
End of the line for once iconic Tab, Coca-Cola decides
Author of the article:
Postmedia News
Publishing date:
Oct 19, 2020 • Last Updated 6 hours ago • 1 minute read

Coca-Cola is canning Tab, the company’s first diet drink launched in 1963 because it has lost its fizzle amid a shrinking market.

The giant beverage company, which has been forced to cut costs during the pandemic, will discontinue making Tab at the end of 2020, it said in a release.

The decision is part of Coca-Cola’s strategy to kill off “zombie” brands such as Diet Coke Feisty Cherry in an effort to focus on fewer brands with stronger sales.

“It’s about continuing to follow the consumer and being very intentional in deciding which of our brands are most deserving of our investments and resources and also taking the tough but important steps to identify those products that are losing relevance and therefore should exit the portfolio,” Cath Coetzer, Coke’s global head of innovation and marketing operations, said in a statement.

Described as a sugarless fizzy drink, Tab attracted a loyal fan base dubbed Tabaholics because of its cult-like allegiance.

Courtesy of some clever marketing and questionable health guarantees, the drink became a hit, promising to help people “keep tabs” on their weight.

Tab is an acronym for totally artificial beverage.

Market observers like to remark on the nostalgia surrounding Tab and its ground-breaking presence when the diet drink first came on the scene.

Without it, they believe, brands such as Diet Coke and Coke Zero may not have been around.

Other drinks being shut down by Dec. 31 include Zico coconut water, Diet Coke Feisty Cherry and regional names such as Delaware Punch and Northern Neck Ginger Ale.

RCO

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they don't make it anymore in Canada anyways and haven't for some time , only time I ever saw it for sale here was at a variety store that had a lot of US pop in cans

hemihampton

Reaction score
I got a few Tab Cans, going back to 1963. LEON.
2Tartans.JPG
sodaflats6.JPG
tabdogbone.JPG

RCO

Reaction score
i don't have many tab cans , is some tab bottles that I have this bottle seems to be fairly common as I've found it a few times and also a no deposit bottle which seems to be less common

TabBR.JPG
TabBR.JPG
tabND.JPG
tabND.JPG

Canadacan

Reaction score
Yeah I can't recall recently seeing Tab in stores up here. I have cans from as late as 1985-7ish, but I don't know when they stopped marketing it up here. We still have Fresca!

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I had no idea Tab still existed. I can't remember ever seeing it for sale anywhere, even in the US when I went down there.

RCO

Reaction score
Yeah I can't recall recently seeing Tab in stores up here. I have cans from as late as 1985-7ish, but I don't know when they stopped marketing it up here. We still have Fresca!

coca cola is barely making any fresca this year , most grocery stores only have mini cans or 2 ltr bottles , no regular sized cans , it seems to have been one they aren't making this year due to can shortage

never seen Tab here in like a normal grocery store , only time I ever saw it was at a variety store which had a lot of US pop in cans

Canadacan

Reaction score
Yeah I was watching that one!...it's the second generation Canadian, first gen it like the one Leon posted.

sandchip

Reaction score
I remember them as a little boy when I'd go with Mama to the grocery store. She might get one once in a while and give me a swig. They tasted artificial, that's for sure.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown