Estate Sale beginning - kijiji ads - 1000 Bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reelpro

Reaction score
I have the 20 bottle set listed for $200 or $10:each.

I’m new to bottle collections,but I am finding the more experienced bottle collectors are buying and selling really cool 100-150 year old bottles for practically nothing.

People will go to Walmart and buy a nice decorative bottle made last week in China for $19.99 , and the Expert antique bottle collectors want to price a hand blown 1905 bottle for $7-$10 because it’s “common”.

Go figure

$10 a piece for a 1941 to 1979 set - not big money

CanadianBottles

Reaction score

I’m new to bottle collections,but I am finding the more experienced bottle collectors are buying and selling really cool 100-150 year old bottles for practically nothing.

People will go to Walmart and buy a nice decorative bottle made last week in China for $19.99 , and the Expert antique bottle collectors want to price a hand blown 1905 bottle for $7-$10 because it’s “common”.

Go figure

We price common bottles for a few dollars because no one is going to buy them if we price them for more. I don't think many people are buying $20 decorative bottles at Walmart either. Yeah I'd love to sell common 1890s bottles for $50 each but it just isn't possible if no one is buying them. You are soon going to find out that selling common old bottles is hard. I've given away box after box of newer bottles because no one will buy them at 25 cents each. People just don't want them. For most bottles from the 40s and newer, anyone can go out into the woods and carry home bags upon bags of as many as they want. They're everywhere on the outskirts of every town. Trying to sell common bottles from the 50s is like trying to sell pinecones.

Reelpro

Reaction score
Yeah I get that, but I also disagree,, a lot of people, in today’s world just would never take a shovel and go dig up old bottles, but they would buy ones someone else dug up.

if every collector with very nice 50-100 yr old bottles just asked more for them when they sold , prices would be higher.

if people can get someone else to go and dig one up,,wash it,, research it, then sell it to them for $7 , why would they go do all the work themselves.

I just sold 15 1950’s and 1960’s pop bottles for $20 each, pretty common but nice shape,. 3 other machine made 40’s or 50’s bottles for $15,$20 and $25, one old mason Jar for $85

People will pay good money for old bottles unless they can get bottle diggers and collectors to “give “ them away for $5-$10.

They pay that for their Latte on the way to work every morning.

Just surprised at what collectors and diggers buy and sell for, I saw a post valuing a 1890-1910 bottle for $5 cause They are common. What else on planet earth can you buy for $5 that was hand made 130 years ago ?

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
If you're selling common 1960s bottles for $20 each you're incredibly lucky. Assuming you aren't selling local soda bottles, which are actually valuable a lot of the time. Bottle collectors aren't a monolith, so we can't all conspire to start price fixing bottles. The market dictates what they sell for, that's basic economics. If I try to sell a bunch of 1920s med bottles for $5 each and nobody buys them, then by upping the prices on them people will just continue to not buy them even more than they were not buying them before. I've set up plenty of tables at flea markets of nice 120 year old bottles for $1 each and almost nobody buys them. There's only so much demand for common old bottles because collectors don't want them, so the only people you can sell them to are non-collectors. And there are only so many non-collectors who want to buy old bottles. They'll buy blue bottles, but they won't pay much for them in my experience.

And in the case of more modern bottles, you don't need a shovel to get them. You can literally walk into the woods and pick them up off the surface. They're that common.

RCO

Reaction score

Go figure

I can't imagine anyone ever paying $200 for a mixture of pepsi bottles , I've seen similar lots go for $20 or $30 at the thrift store in town . there last bottle lot didn't even get a bid and they ended up selling them for $2 each in the store instead

I have boxes of extra's in the garage , sometimes at our yardsale I can sell some for a couple dollars each but common bottles like pepsi and coca cola don't seem to sell well

its usually the odd more uncommon brands that end up selling for some reason

not sure if you'd actually find good bottles in the woods here still ? most of the stuff I find is broken or paint gone by now . I seemed to find more cans last year than bottles . is a lot of glass jars still and liquor bottles , I usually don't keep that sort of stuff and recycle it just to clean up the woods

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
not sure if you'd actually find good bottles in the woods here still ? most of the stuff I find is broken or paint gone by now . I seemed to find more cans last year than bottles . is a lot of glass jars still and liquor bottles , I usually don't keep that sort of stuff and recycle it just to clean up the woods

Yeah not many good sodas left in the woods these days, not without digging. No shortage of 1950s meds though, including blues and milk glass. Off the top of my head I can think of one ghost town dump that's maybe a hundred metres long and packed with all sorts of 1950s stuff, just off the road. Not a soda or milk in sight but it's sure got everything else from the 50s.

Reelpro

Reaction score
I have only been selling on internet ads, not any yard sales or flea market.

I guess I have been lucky my ads are reaching a lot of people looking for particular bottles, and willing to pay for the ones they want.

A lot of the collection is coloured glass or tinted, not a lot of clear stuff, I guess the collector was more impressed with coloured stuff.

lots of nice looking bottles

A bunch are just unmarked really old looking very dark greenish bottles, very heavy , I’m guessing they are early 1800’s as the glass is so heavy and thick.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
A bunch are just unmarked really old looking very dark greenish bottles, very heavy , I’m guessing they are early 1800’s as the glass is so heavy and thick.

Those are almost certainly late 1800s/early 1900s. Liquor bottles from that era, especially British ones, look very crude. Early 1800s bottles are extremely rare to come across in Canada. Those turn of the 20th century liquor bottles look cool, but I've never had any luck selling them. I think people who want decorative bottles usually want smaller, lighter coloured bottles.

RCO

Reaction score
I have only been selling on internet ads, not any yard sales or flea market.

I guess I have been lucky my ads are reaching a lot of people looking for particular bottles, and willing to pay for the ones they want.

A lot of the collection is coloured glass or tinted, not a lot of clear stuff, I guess the collector was more impressed with coloured stuff.

lots of nice looking bottles

have you asked around with any antique vendors or stores as to values ?

although some of them aren't open during the winter and a few have disappeared in recent years

was a couple good ones in Simcoe county but some closed , was one in downtown Orillia but it closed in 2018 , also the barrie antique centre but it closed and changed name and not sure if its still there , was plans to redevelop that lot ,
was also a store in Midland but it went online only and not sure if there still active , he was good with bottles and knew a lot about them

was also some stores in downtown gravenhurst ( muskoka retro ) which closed in 2019 and another one that closed around 2015 or 16 , he was older but knew a lot about bottles

myself if I was buying a mixed assortment of semi common not extremely rare bottles , I'd be willing to pay $ 20 > $40 for 10 or 12 bottles , I wouldn't even consider paying $20 each

at the last bottle show in 2019 was bottles for $5 , old embossed from smaller cities , for $ 20 you could of got old aqua soda water bottles from the 1900's some of which were hard to find

RCO

Reaction score
I noticed there is a Canada dry bottle similar to yours on ebay listed for $55 or best offer , the seller claims its scarce

I'm pretty sure that is not true , its not a rare bottle , very common , I've found several of them it also comes in clear but without the original paper label its not worth much

so not sure if this is where your basing some of your prices on but highly doubt there selling anything at these prices , the listings also say or best offer meaning they'd likely take a lot less if anyone was willing to make an offer , I personally only think this bottle is worth a buck or two

just trying to be helpful , may not appear so but the reality is some of whats on the internet isn't good info and people don't really know whats rare or common unless they collect the stuff or finding it in the wild

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18